Photoneutron cross sections for 59Co : Systematic uncertainties of data from various experiments
- 53 Downloads
Data on partial photoneutron reaction cross sections \((\gamma ,1n)\), \((\gamma ,2n)\), and \((\gamma ,3n)\) for 59Co obtained in two experiments carried out at Livermore (USA) were analyzed. The sources of radiation in both experiments were the monoenergetic photon beams from the annihilation in flight of relativistic positrons. The total yield was sorted by the neutron multiplicity, taking into account the difference in the neutron energy spectra for different multiplicity. The two quoted studies differ in the method of determining the neutron. Significant systematic disagreements between the results of the two experiments exist. They are considered to be caused by large systematic uncertainties in partial cross sections, since they do not satisfy physical criteria for reliability of the data. To obtain reliable cross sections of partial and total photoneutron reactions a new method combining experimental data and theoretical evaluation was used. It is based on the experimental neutron yield cross section which is rather independent of neutron multiplicity and the transitional neutron multiplicity functions of the combined photonucleon reaction model (CPNRM). The model transitional multiplicity functions were used for the decomposition of the neutron yield cross section into the contributions of partial reactions. The results of the new evaluation noticeably differ from the partial cross sections obtained in the two experimental studies are under discussion.
- 3.A.V. Varlamov, V.V. Varlamov, D.S. Rudenko, M.E. Stepanov, INDC(NDS)-394 (IAEA NDS, Vienna, Austria, 1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Russia Lomonosov Moscow State University, Skobeltsyn Institute of Nuclear Physics, Centre for Photonuclear Experiments Data database, Nuclear Reaction Database (EXFOR), http://cdfe.sinp.msu.ru/exfor/index.php, IAEA Nuclear Data Section database, Experimental Nuclear Reaction Data (EXFOR), http://www-nds.iaea.org/exfor, USA National Nuclear Data Center database, CSISRS and EXFOR Nuclear reaction experimental data, http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/exfor/exfor00.htm.
- 5.V.V. Varlamov, B.S. Ishkhanov, INDC(CCP)-432 (IAEA NDS, Vienna, Austria, 2002)Google Scholar
- 6.V.V. Varlamov, N.N. Peskov, D.S. Rudenko, M.E. Stepanov, INDC(CCP)-440 (IAEA NDS, Vienna, Austria, 2004) p. 37Google Scholar
- 9.E. Wolynec, M.N. Martins, Rev. Bras. Fis. 17, 56 (1987)Google Scholar
- 11.V.V. Varlamov, B.S. Ishkhanov, V.N. Orlin, V.A. Chetvertkova, Bull. Russ. Acad. Sci. 74, 883 (2010)Google Scholar