A helium gas scintillator active target for photoreaction measurements
- 144 Downloads
A multi-cell He gas scintillator active target, designed for the measurement of photoreaction cross sections, is described. The target has four main chambers, giving an overall thickness of 0.103 g/cm3 at an operating pressure of 2 MPa. Scintillations are read out by photomultiplier tubes and the addition of small amounts of N2 to the He, to shift the scintillation emission from UV to visible, is discussed. First results of measurements at the MAX IV Laboratory tagged-photon facility show that the target has a timing resolution of around 1 ns and can cope well with a high-flux photon beam. The determination of reaction cross sections from target yields relies on a Monte Carlo simulation, which considers scintillation light transport, photodisintegration processes in 4He, background photon interactions in target windows and interactions of the reaction-product particles in the gas and target container. The predictions of this simulation are compared to the measured target response.
- 1.J.B. Birks, The Theory and Practice of Scintillation Counting (Pergammon Press, Oxford, 1964).Google Scholar
- 2.C. Eggler, C.M. Huddleston, Nucleonics 14, 34 (1956).Google Scholar
- 13.R. Al Jebali, PhD Thesis, University of Glasgow (2013) http://www.nuclear.gla.ac.uk/npe-theses/AlJebali_thesis.pdf.
- 15.Eljen technology Ltd., http://www.eljentechnology.com.
- 17.Geant-4 Physics Reference Manual Version 10.0, 6th Dec. 2013, http://geant4.cern.ch/support/userdocuments.shtml.
- 18.Data sheet HOQ-310 fused quartz POL-O/424M-E, Heraeus, http://optics.heraeus-quarzglas.com/media/webmedia_local/datenbltter/O424me_HOQ.pdf .
- 19.Type XP2262, Data Handbook Photomultipliers, Philips Components Ltd., Book PC04 (1990).Google Scholar
- 20.E. Wiberg, N. Wiberg, A.F. Holleman, Inorganic Chemistry (Academic Press, 2001) p. 1655, ISBN 0-12-352651-5.Google Scholar
- 29.A.J.H. Reiter, PhD thesis, University of Glasgow 2004, http://www.nuclear.gla.ac.uk/npe-theses/Reiter_thesis.pdf.
- 32.V. Ganenko, A measurement of the 4He(γ, n)3He reaction cross section asymmetry below pion photoproduction threshold, Experiment 10-02, MAX IV Laboratory, November 2010.Google Scholar
- 33.J.R.M. Annand, Compton Scattering on the He Isotopes with an Active Target, Experiment A2-01/13, Mainz Microtron MAMI, October 2013, http://wwwa2.kph.uni-mainz.de/images/PAC2013/MAMI-A2-01-2013.pdf.