Direct studies of low-energy resonances in 31P(p, α)28Si and 35Cl(p, α)32S
- 92 Downloads
Low-energy resonances in 31P(p, α 28Si and 35Cl(p, α)32S were studied directly in order to gain a better understanding of reaction cycling in the Si-Ar region in novae. New resonance strengths at E c.m. = 600 and 622 keV in 31P(p, α)28Si were measured (ωγ p, α = (2.2#x00B1;0.7) × 10−2 eV and ωγ p, α = (0.99±0.08) eV, respectively) as well as the E c.m. = 610 keV resonance in 35Cl(p, α)32S [ωγ p, α = (1.2±0.2) × 10−2 eV], the lowest energy that any resonance in this reaction has been observed, directly or indirectly. The strengths of these resonances were found to be lower than previously determined, resulting in even weaker cycling in the Si-Ar region.
KeywordsAngular Distribution Resonance Strength SIDAR Detector Monitor Detector Weak Cycling
- 6.C. Iliadis, A. Champagne, J. Josë, S. Starrfield, P. Tupper, Astrophys. J. Suppl. Ser. 105, 142 (2002).Google Scholar
- 9.B.H. Moazen, D.W. Bardayan, J.C. Blackmon, K.Y. Chae, K. Chipps, C.P. Domizioli, R. Fitzgerald, U. Greife, W.R. Hix, K.L. Jones, R.L. Kozub, E.J. Lingerfelt, R.J. Livesay, C.D. Nesaraja, S.D. Pain, L.F. Roberts, J.F. Shriner Jr., M.S. Smith, J.S. Thomas, Phys. Rev. C 75, 065801 (2007).ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.D.W. Bardayan, J.C. Blackmon, C.R. Brune, A.E. Champagne, A.A. Chen, J.M. Cox, T. Davinson, V.Y. Hansper, M.A. Hofstee, B.A. Johnson, R.L. Kozub, Z. Ma, P.D. Parker, D.E. Pierce, M.T. Rabban, A.C. Shotter, M.S. Smith, K.B. Swartz, D.W. Visser, P.J. Woods, Phys. Rev. Lett. 83, 45 (1999).ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 13.J.F. Ziegler, SRIM-2003.10, http://www.srim.org (2003).
- 14.K. Braune, R. Novotny, D. Pelte, D. Husar, D. Schwalm, Proceedings of the Spring Meeting of the German Physical Society, Verhandlungen 4/1978Google Scholar
- 16.C. Rolfs, W. Rodney, Cauldrons in the Cosmos, (University of Chicago Press, Chicago, 1988).Google Scholar