Meson production at CELSIUS
- 24 Downloads
The experimental programme of the CELSIUS/WASA Collaboration at the CELSIUS cooler/storage ring of the The Svedberg Laboratory, Uppsala, focuses on meson production and decay studies using light-ion collisions near threshold. The production of \(\eta\)-mesons has been studied in pp and pd collisions and \(2\pi\) reactions have been studied in pp collisions, using the PROMICE/WASA detector. Both total and differential cross-sections have been investigated and some of the reaction channels have been measured for the first time in any detail. The data on \(\eta\) production reveal effects which can be attributed to a strong and attractive \(\eta\)-N interaction. Both the \(\eta\) and two-pion production data contain new information on the importance of different nucleon resonances in these reactions. The PROMICE/WASA detector is now an integrated part of the recently commissioned WASA detector at CELSIUS, which has a nearly \(4\pi\) acceptance for both charged particles and photons. This will provide significantly improved conditions for a new generation of experiments on meson production and decays.
KeywordsProduction Data Experimental Programme Reaction Channel Meson Production Nucleon Resonance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. Calén et al., Nucl. Instrum. Methods A 379, 57 (1996).Google Scholar
- 3.S.A. Rakityansky et al., Phys. Rev. C 53, R2043 (1996).Google Scholar
- 11.N. Willis et al., Phys. Lett. B 406, 143 (1997).Google Scholar
- 12.R. Bilger et al., Phys. Rev. C 47, 044608 (2002).Google Scholar
- 14.J. Złomańczuk, private communication.Google Scholar
- 19.J. Zabierowski et al., Phys. Scr. T 99, 159 (2002).Google Scholar