Regulation of Telomerase Activity
The published data on the regulation of telomerase activity are systemized. The structure and functions of telomeres and telomerase are described. The main pathways of epigenetic regulation of telomerase activity—modification of the TERT (telomerase reserve transcriptase) gene histone and its methylation— are described. Particular attention is paid to the regulation of telomerase activity at the transcriptional level (transcriptional activators and inhibitors of TERT, as well as two-way transcription regulators) and posttranscriptional regulation (alternative splicing of TERT mRNA, phosphorylation, and ubiquitination of TERT).
Keywordstelomere telomerase activity regulation telomerase functions telomerase complex genes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bogdanov, A.A., Telomeres and telomerase, Soros. Obraz. Zh., 1998, vol. 12, pp. 12–18.Google Scholar
- Galitskii, V.A., The epigenetic theory of aging, Tsitologiya, 2009, vol. 51, no. 5, pp. 388–397.Google Scholar
- Korolenkova, L.I., Human papillomavirus associated with infection as the markers of the emergence and development of cervical intraepithelial neoplasia: from scientific development to clinical practice, Opukholi Zhenskoi Reprod. Sist., 2010, no. 4, pp. 64–70.Google Scholar
- Lewis, K.A. and Tollefsbol, T.O., Regulation of the telomerase reverse transcriptase subunit through epigenetic mechanisms, Front. Genet., 2016, vol. 7, no. 83, pp. 1–12.Google Scholar
- Martínez, P., Gómez-López, G., David, G., et al., A genetic interaction between RAP1 and telomerase reveals an unanticipated role for RAP1 in telomere maintenance, Aging Cell, 2016, pp. 1–13.Google Scholar
- Misri, S., Pandita, S., Kumar, R., and Pandita, T.K., Telomeres, histone code, and DNA damage response, Cyt. Gen. Res., 2009, vol. 122, nos. 3–4, pp. 297–307.Google Scholar
- Pendina, A.A., Grinkevich, V.V., Kuznetsova, T.V., and Baranov, V.S., DNA methylation as one of the main mechanisms of gene activity regulation, Ekol. Genet., 2004, vol. 2, no. 1, pp. 27–37.Google Scholar
- Sæbøe-Larssen, S., Fossberg, E., and Gaudernack, G., Characterization of novel alternative splicing sites in human telomerase reverse transcriptase (hTERT): analysis of expression and mutual correlation in mRNA isoforms from normal and tumor tissues, BMC Mol. Biol., 2006, vol. 7, pp. 26–36.CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Schmidt, J.C. and Cech, T.R., Human telomerase: biogenesis, trafficking, recruitment, and activation, Gen. Dev., 2015, vol. 29, no. 11, pp. 1095–1105.Google Scholar
- Takakura, M., Kyo, S., Kanaya, T., et al., Cloning of human telomerase catalytic subunit (hTERT) gene promoter and identification of proximal core promoter sequences essential for transcriptional activation in immortalized and cancer cells, Cancer Res., 1999, vol. 59, no. 3, pp. 551–557.PubMedGoogle Scholar