Kinetic analysis of the oxidation of Nb–Si eutectic alloy doped with boron
The mechanism and the kinetics of the oxidation in an air flow of powdery Nb–Si eutectic alloy containing (wt %) 93.0 Nb, 6.7 Si, and 0.27 B are studied by X-ray diffraction (XRD), thermogravimetric (TG), and differential thermal analysis (DTA). The oxidation of alloy proceeds through three stages. At the first stage (600–923 K), the oxidation of a Nb ss solid solution (with the formation of Nb2O5, NbO0.76, NbO, and NbO2 oxides) and boron (to B2O3) released during the conversion of the Nb5Si3–x B x phase (T2 phase) into Nb5SiB y (D88) occurs. At the second stage (923–993 K), the accumulation of the product layer and the formation of borosilicate occur, which prevents the oxidation. At the third stage, Nb3Si and Nb5SiB y (D88) silicides and Nb3B2 niobium boride are oxidized. Under heating above 1023 K, the interaction of boron oxide with niobium oxide occurs with the formation of Nb3BO9. The possible oxidation mechanisms are considered. It is shown that are well described by the model of three successive stages, each one limited by the kinetic regime.
Keywordscomposites niobium silicon boron oxidation kinetics mechanism
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Grashchenkov, D.V., Shchetanov, B.V., and Efimochkin, I.Yu., Development of powder metallurgy of refractory materials, Vse Mater., 2011, no. 5. http://www.viam.ru/public.Google Scholar
- 3.Kocherzhinskii, Yu.A., Yupko, L.M., and Shishkin, E.A., Equilibrium diagram of the Nb–Si system, Metally (Moscow), 1980, no. 1, pp. 206–210.Google Scholar
- 5.Chumarev, V.M., Leont’ev, L.I., Udoeva, L.Yu., Sel’menskikh, N.I., Gulyaeva, R.I., Zhidovinova, S.V., and Larionov, A.V., Effect of boron and yttrium on the phase composition and the microstructure of natural Nb–Si composites, Russ. Metall., (Engl. Transl.), 2014, vol. 2014, no. 9, pp. 688–696.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 11.Gulyaeva, R.I., Mansurova, A.N., Chumarev, V.M., Leont’ev, L.I., and Udoeva, L.Yu., Kineticheskii analiz okisleniya evtekticheskogo splava Nb–Si (Kinetic Analysis of the Oxidation of the Eutectic Nb–Si Alloy), Tr. Inst. Metall., Ural. Otd., Ross. Akad. Nauk, Chelyabinsk: Yuzh.-Ural. Knizh. Izd., 2015, pp. 83–91.Google Scholar
- 13.Perepezko, J.H., Phase Stability and Microstructure Design in High Temperature (Mo,Nb)–Si–B Alloys, Madison: Univ. of Wisconsin–Madison, 1999.Google Scholar
- 14.Liu, Y., Thom, A.J., Kramer, M.J., and Akinc, M., Processing and Oxidation Behavior of Nb–Si–B Intermetallics, Ames: Iowa State Univ, 2004. http://www.osti.gov/scitech/servlets/purl/832901-O4nY3P/webviewable/.Google Scholar
- 27.Proc. 20th Annual Conf. on Composites, Advanced Ceramics, Materials, and Structures, A: Ceramic Engineering and Science Proceedings, Wachtman, J.B., Eds., New York: Wiley, 2008, vol. 17, no. 3, p. 131.Google Scholar
- 28.Upolovnikova, A.G., Zhidovinova, S.V., and Larionov, A.V., Oxidation of eutectic Nb–Si alloys doped with boron, Privolzhsk. Nauch. Vestn., 2015, no. 10, pp. 33–36.Google Scholar
- 29.International Centre for Diffraction Data–ICDD, 2013. http://www.icdd.com/.Google Scholar
- 31.Brown, M.E., Dollimore, D., and Galway, A.K., Reaction in the solid state, in Comprehensive Chemical Kinetics, Bamford, C.H. and Tipper, C.F.H., Eds., Amsterdam: Elsevier, 1980, pp. 87–91.Google Scholar
- 32.Kofstad, P., High-Temperature Oxidation of Metals, New York: Wiley, 1966.Google Scholar