Pentamerismus taxi (Haller, 1877) (Acari: Tenuipalpidae): A New Pest in the Conditions of Kyiv
The article considers information about discovery of the mite Pentamerismus taxi (Haller) on a yew tree in the Fomin Botanical Garden, Kyiv. This is the extreme point on the northern border (51°31′ W) of distribution of this phytophage in Ukraine. Trophic connections of this species were investigated. Mostly, the plants of Taxus baccata L. and all their kinds cultivated in the botanical garden were damaged by the mite. Single individuals of Pentamerismus taxi (Haller) were noticed on Taxus × media Rehder ‘Hicksii.’ The phytophagous insect was not found on plants of Taxus canadensis March. and Taxus cuspidata Siebold et Zucc. It was established that Pentamerismus taxi (Haller) has one generation in the conditions of the city of Kyiv. The mite has a tendency to extand its natural range and form stable population under new conditions. Therefore, the emergence of a new dangerous pest requires further careful study and development and implementation of measures to monitor the state of its population.
KeywordsAcari Pentamerismus taxi Taxus baccata Ukraine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Akimov, I.A. and Zhovnerchuk, O.V., Tetranikhoidnye kleshchi–vrediteli zelenykh nasazhdenii megapolisa (Red Spiders (Tetranychidae)—Pests of the Green Metropolis Plantations), Kyiv, 2010.Google Scholar
- Arabuli, T., Two new records and list of Tenuipalpid mates (Acari: Tenuipalpidae) for Georgian fauna, Proc. Inst. Zool., 2015, vol. 24, pp. 33–45.Google Scholar
- Lee, W.K. and Lee, J.S., A chek list and rey to the Tetranchoid mites (Acari: Chelicerata) of Korea, Korean J. Syst. Zool., 1992, no. 3, pp. 45–58.Google Scholar
- Livshits, I.Z. and Mitrofanov, V.I., Acariformes, in Vrediteli sel’skokhozyaistvennykh kul’tur i lesnykh nasazhdenii (Pests of Agricultural Crops and Forest Plantations), Kyiv: Urozhai, 1973, vol. 1, pp. 108–162.Google Scholar
- Maslyakov, V.Yu. and Izhevskii, S.S., Invazii rastitel’noyadnykh nasekomykh v evropeiskuyu chast’ Rossii (Invasions of Herbivorous Insects in the European Part of Russia), Moscow: Inst. Geogr., Russ. Acad. Sci., 2011.Google Scholar
- Mesa, N.C., Ochoa, R., Welbourn, W.C., Evans, G.A., and Moraes, G.J., A catalog of Tenuipalpidae Berlese of the world (Acari: Prostigmata), Zootaxa, 2009, vol. 2098, pp. 1–185.Google Scholar
- Metodicheskie rekomendatsii. K poznaniyu kleshchei–vreditelei plodovykh kul’tur (Guidelines: Knowledge of Ticks—Pests of Fruit Crops), Yalta: Gos. Nikitsk. Bot. Sad, 1981.Google Scholar
- Mitrofanov, V.I. and Strunkova, Z.I., Opredelitel’ kleshchei ploskotelok (Determinant of Cucujid Ticks), Dushanbe: Donish, 1979.Google Scholar