Evaluation of the Possibility of using Diatomite Natural Mineral as a Composite Agent in Acrylic Coating
- 62 Downloads
In the present study the possibility of the commercially available acryl and diatomite earth (DE) mineral as a composite coating for corrosion protection of Mg alloys has been evaluated. The acrylic coating is used as a top coating in a wide field of applications like automotive, aerospace, medicine and electronics where it shows beneficial properties. Diatomite-dispersed acrylic paint was applied over the substrate by conventional spray technique with an air pressure of 3 kg cm−2. Firstly the acryl was mixed with hardener and then the DE was added to the mixture. Four types of coating with 0, 2, 4, 8 g/L DE have been prepared. The results show that adding up to 4 g/L of the DE improved the corrosion resistance and produced a coating with acceptable surface roughness.
Keywordsacrylic coating diatomite earth natural mineral corrosion protection
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 18.Chawla, S.L. and Gupta, R.K., Materials Selection for Corrosion Control, Materials Park, OH: ASM Int., 1993.Google Scholar
- 27.Selim, A. and El-Midany, A., Technol. Appl. Educ., 2010, vol. 3, p. 2174.Google Scholar
- 28.Ibrahim, S.S., J. Int. Environ. Appl. Sci., 2012, vol. 7, p.191.Google Scholar
- 29.Ciullo, P.A., Industrial Minerals and Their Uses: Handbook and Formulary, Norwich, NY: William Andrew, 1996.Google Scholar
- 30.Dhawan, S., Kumar, A., Bhandari, H., et al., Am. J. Polym. Sci., 2015, vol. 5, p.7.Google Scholar