Rayleigh-Taylor Instability Development in the Equatorial Ionosphere and a Geometry of an Initial Irregularity
- 14 Downloads
In this paper, we performed a numerical simulation for the conditions of the equatorial F‑region of the Earth’s ionosphere using the two-dimensional electrodynamically consistent mathematical MI2 model. The development time of ionospheric bubbles is shown to depend sufficiently strongly on the vertical scale and less strongly on the horizontal scale of the initial irregularity. Ionospheric bubbles developed more slowly at the generation of instability by increasing the plasma concentration than by depleting a plasma. On increasing the initial irregularity scale, three metric thresholds are experimentally found.
Keywords:ionosphere Rayleigh-Taylor instability mathematical modeling numerical modeling initial perturbation metric threshold
This work was supported by the Russian Foundation for Basic Research, project no. 17-01-00265.
- 3.H. Kil, R. A. Heelis, L. J. Paxton., and S. J. Oh, “Formation of a plasma depletion shell in the equatorial ionosphere,” J. Geophys. Res. A 114, A11302 (2009).Google Scholar
- 6.B. N. Gershman, Dynamics of Ionospheric Plasma (Nauka, Moscow, 1974) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 7.S. Matsievsky, N. Kashchenko, S. Ishanov, and L. Zinin, “3D modeling of equatorial F-scattering: comparison of MI3 and SAMI3 models,” Vestn. Balt. Univ. Kanta, No.4, 102–105 (2013).Google Scholar
- 8.N. M. Kashchenko and S. V. Matsievsky, “Mathematical modeling of instabilities of the equatorial F-layer of the ionosphere,” Vestn. Kaliningr. Univ., Ser. Inform. Telekommun., No. 3, 59–68 (2003).Google Scholar
- 9.M. N. Fatkullin and Yu. S. Sitnov, “Dipolar coordinate system and its some features,” Geomagn. Aeron. 12, 333–335 (1972).Google Scholar
- 12.Guide to Reference and Standard Ionosphere Models (Am. Inst. Aeronaut. Astronaut., 2011).Google Scholar
- 13.J. D. Huba, G. Joyce, and J. Krall, “Three-dimensional modeling of equatorial spread F,” in Aeronomy of the Earth’s Atmosphere and Ionosphere, IAGA Special Sopron Book Series (Springer, 2011), Vol. 2, pp. 211–218.Google Scholar
- 14.V. V. Medvedev, S. A. Ishanov, and V. I. Zenkin, “Self-consistent model of the lower ionosphere,” Geomagn. Aeron. 42, 745–754 (2002).Google Scholar
- 15.V. V. Medvedev, S. A. Ishanov, and V. I. Zenkin, “Effect of vibrationally excited nitrogen on recombination in ionospheric plasma,” Geomagn. Aeron. 43, 231–238 (2003).Google Scholar
- 20.A. V. Safronov, “Accuracy estimation and comparative analysis of difference schemes of high-order approximation,” Vychisl. Metody Programmir. 11, 137–143 (2010).Google Scholar