Mechanism of the direct three-body recombination of atomic ions in a central collision
- 40 Downloads
The detailed dynamics of direct three-body recombination of the Cs+ and Br− heavy ions in the presence of the Xe atom as a third body is studied by the quasiclassical trajectory method. A potential energy surface that quantitatively correctly describes the dynamics of the reverse process of ion formation induced by collisions of CsBr with Xe is used. Depending on the impact parameter of the third body, the stabilization of the product molecule proceeds by several different mechanisms. At impact parameters of b R ≤ 7 au, the stabilization of the nascent molecule is largely controlled the repulsion potential between one of the ions or both the ions and the third body. The energy transferred to the third body does not depend directly on the repulsive potential energy between the ion and the third body. The phase of collision of the ions at the instant of closest approach plays a key role in the process of energy transfer. For collinear collision configurations of the three particles, the ion-Xe shallow potential wells are demonstrated to produce a noticeable effect.
Keywordslow-temperature plasma three-body recombination of atoms and ions dynamics of recombination of ions detailed dynamics of elementary recombination processes
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. M. Azriel’ and L. Yu. Rusin, Khim. Fiz. 27(7), 5 (2008).Google Scholar
- 2.D. B. Kabanov and L. Yu. Rusin, Fiz.-Khim. Kin. Gaz. Dinam. 8 (2009). http://www.chemphys.edu.ru/pdf/2009-04-30-001.pdf
- 3.F. Smit, Kinetic Processes in Gases and Plasm (Academic, New York, 1969; Atomizdat, Moscow, 1972).Google Scholar
- 4.A. I. Baz’, Ya. B. Zel’dovich, and A. M. Perelomov, Scattering, Reactions, and Decays in Nonrelativistic Quantum Mechanics (Nauka, Moscow, 1966) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 5.V. A. Kaminskii and S. F. Timashev, Teor. Eksp. Khim. 5, 167 (1969).Google Scholar
- 6.V. M. Azriel’, V. M. Akimov, Ya. Griko, and L. Yu. Rusin, Khim. Fiz. 9, 1463 (1990).Google Scholar
- 7.V. M. Azriel’, V. M. Akimov, and L. Yu. Rusin, Khim. Fiz. 9, 1224 (1990).Google Scholar