SkQ3: The new member of the class of membranotropic uncouplers
- 60 Downloads
In our previous studies we have described the non-equilibrium binding of hydrogen ions to the membranes upon induction of transmembrane proton flux in the model system (BLM) and in mitochondria. In 2009 the investigation program aimed to find uncouplers selectively interacting with the non-equilibrium bound protons was started. This study is devoted to a new representative of this class of uncouplers. The effect of respiratory stimulation evoked by this compound can be suppressed by 50–90% through the elimination of non-equilibrium fraction of protons associated with the outer side of the inner mitochondrial membrane. The peculiarity of this compound results from its belonging to the class of quinones with a high affinity to lipid membranes. It becomes a weak acid (hydroquinone) only after reduction. The formation of hydroquinone in the mitochondria determines the observed effect of respiratory stimulation. Thus, the artificial induction of interaction between redox-reactions and reactions of proton association and dissociation occurring on the surface of the inner mitochondrial membrane was demonstrated for the first time.
Keywordsmitochondria membranotropic uncouplers SkQ non-equilibrium proton binding on the membrane
non-equilibrium membrane bounding proteins
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.Murugova T.N., Gordeliy V.I., Kuklin A.I., Solodovnikova I.M., Yaguzhinsky L.S. 2007 The structure of macromolecular compoumds. Register three-dimensional ordered structures in intact mitochondria using the method of small-angle neutron scattering. Kristallografia (Rus.). 52(3), 545–548.Google Scholar
- 9.Motovilov K.A., Yurkov V.I., Volkov E.M., Yaguzhinsky L.S. 2009. Properties and new methods of nonequilibrium membrane bounded proton fraction research under conditions of proton pump activation. Biochemistry (Moscow) Suppl. Ser. A: Membrane Cell Biol. 26(5), 408–418.Google Scholar
- 11.Kargin V.I., Motovilov K.A., Vyssokikh M.Y., Yaguzhinsky L.S. 2008. Interaction of positively charged ubiquinone analog (MitoQ10) with DT-diaphorase from liver mitochondria. Biochemistry (Moscow) Suppl. Ser. A: Membrane Cell Biol. 2, 33–39.Google Scholar
- 12.Eremeyev S.A., Kargin V.I., Motoilov K.A., Tashlistky V.N., Markov V.Y., Korshunova G.A., Sumbatyan N.V., Vissokikh M.Y., Yaguzhinsky L.S. 2009. Molecular mechanisms of transformation of SkQ mitotropic quinones and the search for new approaches to creation of selective free radical traps. Biochemestry (Moscow). 74(10), 1368–1379.Google Scholar
- 15.Solodovnikova I.M., Yurkov V.I., Ton’shin A.A., Yaguzhinskii L.S. 2004. Local coupling between respiration and phosphorylation in rat liver mitochondria. Biophysics. 49, 42–51.Google Scholar
- 16.Kozlova M.V., Gramadskii K.B., Solodovnikova I.M., Krasinskaya I.P., Vinogradov A.V., Yaguzhinskii L.S. 2003. Detection and functional role of local H+-activity gradients on the inner mitochondrial membrane labeled with covalently bound pH probe. Biophysics. 48, 443–452.Google Scholar