Modulation of large-scale meandering and three-dimensional flows in turbulent slot jets
- 50 Downloads
We investigate a vertically discharged shallow wall-bounded turbulent water jet both experimentally (LIF, TomoPIV) and numerically (LES). We identify the well-known meandering motion of the jet core generating large-scale planar vortices similar to the Karman vortex street. The modulation of the meandering amplitude is identified in experiments and simulations, which is attributed to the competition between sinusoidal and symmetric instability modes. TomoPIV data confirms that elongated streamwise vortices represent the smaller scale vortical structure of the jet in the near and far fields.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Chinak, A., Kashinsky, O., and Nakoryakov, V., Power Spectra of Wall Shear Stress Fluctuations in Turbulent Flows, Turb. Heat Mass Transfer, 1995, vol. 1, pp. 71–75.Google Scholar
- 7.Gorin, A., Sikovsky, D.P., Nakoryakov, V., and Zhak, V., Two-Dimensional Turbulent Jet in a Hele-Shaw Cell, Proc. 7th Int. Symp. on FlowModeling Turb.Meas., 1998, pp. 269–279.Google Scholar
- 10.Holdeman, J.D. and Foss, J.F., The Initiation, Development, and Decay of the Secondary Flow in a Bounded Jet, J. Hydraul. Eng., 1975, vol. 97, no. 3, pp. 342–352.Google Scholar
- 13.Mullyadzhanov, R., Ilyushin, B., Hadziabdić, M., and Hanjalić, K., Large-Eddy Simulation of a Shallow Turbulent Jet, in Direct and Large-Eddy Simulation, vol. 9, Netherlands: Springer, 2015.Google Scholar
- 15.Nakoryakov, V., Zhak, V., and Safonov, S., Flow in a Hele-Shaw Cell at Large Velocities, Russ. J. Eng. Therm., 1991, vol. 1, no. 1, pp. 1–23.Google Scholar
- 16.Ničeno, B. and Hanjalić, K., Unstructured Large-Eddy-and Conjugate Heat Transfer Simulations of Wall-Bounded Flows, in Modeling and Simulation of Turbulent Heat Transfer (Developments in Heat Transfer), Faghri, M. and Sunden, B., Eds., UK: WIT, 2005.Google Scholar
- 18.Rockwell, D.O., Vortex Stretching Due to Shear Layer Instability, J. Hydraul. Eng., 1977, vol. 97, pp. 240–243.Google Scholar