Molecular properties of poly(2-deoxy-2-methacryloylamino-D-glucose) in aqueous solvents of various compositions
- 64 Downloads
Six samples of poly(2-deoxy-2-methacryloylamino-D-glucose) were prepared by free-radical polymerization of the monomer. The molecular properties of the homologous series obtained were studied in three solvents, 0.2 M NaCl, 0.1 M Na2SO4, and salt-free water, by viscometry and static and dynamic light scattering. The Mark-Kuhn-Houwink relationships were obtained. The poly(vinyl saccharide) studied, despite the presence of bulky pendant substituents, is a typical flexible-chain polymer with the Kuhn segment length of 20 ± 3 Å. In aqueous salt systems, poly(2-deoxy-2-methacryloylamino-D-glucose), which is not a polyelectrolyte, nevertheless demonstrates the dependence of the hydrodynamic size of the molecules on the solvent composition. The SO 4 2− ions make the polymer molecules more compact, whereas Cl− ions present in aqueous solution lead to its expanding. Salt additions affect the thermodynamic quality of the polymer-solvent system.
KeywordsDynamic Light Scattering Coarse Particle Intrinsic Viscosity Molecular Property Homologous Series
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Yaszemski, J., Hasirtci, V., and Lewandrowski, K.-U., Tissue Engineering and Novel Delivery Systems, New York: Dekker, 2004.Google Scholar
- 6.Panarin, E.F., Ivanova, N.P., Belokhvostova, A.T., and Potapenkova, L.V., Khim.-Farm. Zh., 2002, vol. 36, no. 4, pp. 19–22.Google Scholar
- 8.Korzhikov, V.A., Filippov, A.P., Vlasova, E.N., et al., Zh. Prikl. Khim., 2008, vol. 81, no. 8, pp. 1311–1319.Google Scholar
- 10.Tsvetkov V.N. Rigid-Chain Polymers: Hydrodynamic and Optical Properties in Solution, New York: Plenum: Consultants Bureau, 1989.Google Scholar
- 11.Berne, B.J. and Pecora, R., Dynamic Light Scattering, New York: Wiley, 1976.Google Scholar
- 12.Eskin, V.E., Rasseyanie sveta rastvorami polimerov i svoistva makromolekul (Light Scattering by Polymer Solutions and Properties of Macromolecules), Leningrad: Nauka, 1986.Google Scholar
- 14.Lipmanovich, E.A. and Ivleva, E.M., Vysokomol. Soedin., Ser. A, 2010, vol. 52, no. 6, pp. 1010–1017.Google Scholar