Absorption and luminescence spectra of 5-aryl-3-methyl-1,2,4-oxadiazoles and their chelate complexes with Zinc(II) and copper(II)
5-(2-Hydroxyphenyl)-3-methyl-1,2,4-oxadiazole and its O-methyl and O-acyl derivatives, as well as zinc(II) and copper(II) chelates, were synthesized. All these compounds showed luminescence with the emission maxima ranging from λ = 332 to 490 nm, but only 5-(2-methoxyphenyl)- and 5-(2-acetoxyphenyl)-3-methyl-1,2,4-oxadiazoles and zinc(II) complex of 5-(2-hydroxyphenyl)-3-methyl-1,2,4-oxadiazole were characterized by high luminescence quantum yield (φ = 0.308–0.452, 0.089–0.153, and 0.115–0.334, respectively). Stable conformers of 5-(2-hydroxyphenyl)-3-methyl-1,2,4-oxadiazole with different structures of the coordination entity were identified by DFT quantum chemical calculations.
Keywords5-aryl-3-methyl-1,2,4-oxadiazoles electronic absorption and luminescence spectra luminescence quantum yield quantum chemical calculations
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Mikhailov, I.E., Dushenko, G.A., Starikov, D.A., Mikhailova, O.I., and Minkin, V.I., Vestn. Yuzhn. Nauch. Tsentra, 2010, vol. 6, no. 4, p. 32.Google Scholar
- 7.Ryabukhin, Yu.I., Mezheritskii, V.V., and Dorofeenko, G.N., Zh. Obshch. Khim., 1974, vol. 44, no. 12, p. 2792.Google Scholar
- 13.Dushenko, G.A., Vikrishchuk, A.D., Mikhailov, I.E., and Vikrishchuk, N.I., Vestn. Yuzhn. Nauch. Tsentra, 2013, vol. 9, no. 1, p. 37.Google Scholar
- 19.Krasovitskii, B.M. and Bolotin, B.M., Organicheskie lyuminofory (Organic Luminophores), Moscow: Khimiya. 1984, p. 11.Google Scholar
- 22.Weissberger, A., Proskauer, E.S., Riddick, J.A., and Toops, E.E., Organic Solvents: Physical Properties and Methods of Purification, New York: Intersci., 1955, 2nd ed.Google Scholar
- 23.Foresman, J.B. and Frisch, E., Exploring Chemistry with Electronic Structure Methods, Pittsburg Gaussian, 1996.Google Scholar
- 25.Ryabukhina, O.I., Yusman, T.A., Ryabukhin, Yu.I., Garnovskii, A.D., and Dorofeenko, G.N., Koord. Khim., 1980, vol. 6, no. 8, p. 1186.Google Scholar