Chemical experiment in Russian schools
Many arguments in favor of chemical experiment, both old and new ones, were put forward. It was demonstrated that chemical experiment is valuable by itself and instrumental in teaching and forms metadomain skills. The idea that chemical experiment should form concepts rather than illustrate them was substantiated.
Opportunities for chemical experiments in modern Russian schools were considered. Legislation dealing with chemical experiment was criticized for numerous collisions, and possible ways to avoid these collisions were suggested. It was noted that staffing problem could be reduced reasonably by encouraging teachers. For methodological support, which is also crucial, some points of development were indicated (digital laboratories, inquiry learning, and shifting the role of experiment from concept illustration to concept formation). It was stated that the supply of chemical experiment is insufficient but can be optimized by some measures that should be taken by educational authorities.
KeywordsGeneral Chemistry Chemical Agent Chemical Experiment Cognitive Conflict Personal Significance
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Fadeev, G.N., Dvulichanskaya, N.N., Matakova, S.A., and Volkov, A.A., in Sovremennye tendentsii razvitiya estestvennonauchnogo obrazovaniya: fundamental’noe universitetskoe obrazovanie (Current Trends in Natural-Sciences Education: Fundamental University Education), Lunin, V.V., Ed., Moscow: Mosk. Gos. Univ., 2010; http://www.chem.msu.su/rus/books/2010/lunin/fadeev.pdf.
- 2.Zhilin, D.M., Yunyi khimik. 130 opytov s veshchestvami (Young Chemist: 130 Experiments with Substances), Moscow: Mosk. Gos. Univ., 2001.Google Scholar
- 3.Bogdanova, G.A., private communication.Google Scholar
- 4.Dorofeev, M.V. and Stuneeva, Yu.B., Khim. Shkole, 2010, no. 8, pp. 31–39.Google Scholar
- 5.Polosin, V.S., Khim. Shkole, 1992, nos. 3–4, pp. 18–19.Google Scholar
- 6.Polosin, V.S., Khim. Shkole, 1980, no. 6, pp. 48–51.Google Scholar
- 7.Zhilin, D.M., Oshibki v provedenii eksperimentov i interpretatsii ikh rezul’tatov: videolektsiya (Errors in Conducting Experiments and Interpreting Their Results: Video Lecture), 2010; http://metodist.lbz.ru/video/jilin/2-1.flv, http://metodist.lbz.ru/video/jilin/2-2.flv, http://metodist.lbz.ru/video/jilin/2-3.flv.Google Scholar
- 8.Tsvetkov, L.A., Ed., Obshchaya metodika obucheniya khimii (General Methodology of Chemistry Teaching), Moscow: Prosveshchenie, 1981.Google Scholar
- 9.Séré, M.G., Fernandez-Gonzalez, M., Gallegos, J.A, Gonzalez-Garcia, F., De Manuel, E., Perales, F.J., and Leach, J., Images of Science Linked to Labwork: A Survey of Secondary School and University Students, Res. Sci. Educ., 2001, vol. 31, pp. 499–523.Google Scholar
- 11.Kiryushkin, D.M. and Polosin, V.S., Metodika obucheniya khimii (Chemistry Teaching Methodology), Moscow: Prosveshchenie, 1970.Google Scholar
- 12.Tchaikovsky, Yu.V., Elementy evolyutsionnoi diatropiki (Elements of Evolution Diatropics), Moscow: Nauka, 1990.Google Scholar
- 14.Halbych, J., Čtrnáctová, H., Novotný, V., in Problemy obucheniya khimii v shkolakh sotsialisticheskikh stran (Problems of Teaching Chemistry in Socialist Countries’ Schools), Sofia: Nauchno-Issled. Inst. Obshch. Obraz., 1987, part 2, pp. 138–147.Google Scholar
- 15.Osorina, M.V., Sekretnyi mir detei v prostranstve mira vzroslykh (The Secret World of Children in the Space of the Aadult World), St. Petersburg: Piter, 2000.Google Scholar
- 18.Erlis, B.A.M. and Subramaniam, R., IASCE Conf., 2004, Singapore; http://www.iasce.net/Conference-2004/23June/Erlis/iasce2004%20chem%20demos.pdf.Google Scholar
- 22.Akhmetov, M.A., Isaeva, O.N., and Pil’nikova, N.N., Khim. Shkole, 2010, no. 4, pp. 28–31.Google Scholar
- 23.Zhilin, D.M., Khimiya-8: Uchebnik dlya srednikh obshcheobrazovatel’nykh shkol (A Textbook for Secondary General Education Schools), Moscow: BINOM: Lab. Znanii, 2010.Google Scholar
- 24.Zhilin, D.M., Khimiya: metodicheskoe posobie dlya 8–9 klassov (Chemistry: A Study Guide for 8–9 Graders), Moscow: BINOM: Lab. Znanii., 2010.Google Scholar