Synthesis, crystal structures, and antibacterial activity of copper(II) and cobalt(III) complexes derived from 2-[(2-dimethylaminoethylimino)methyl]-4-methylphenol
- 51 Downloads
A new tetranuclear copper(II) complex (I) and a new mononuclear cobalt(III) complex (II) have been synthesized from the Schiff base compound 2-[(2-dimethylaminoethylimino)methyl]-4-methylphenol. The complexes have been characterized by physico-chemical and spectroscopic methods, as well as single crystal X-ray determination (CIF files CCDC nos. 1447778 (I) and 1447779 (II)). The Cu atoms in complex I are in square pyramidal coordination, and the Co atom in complex II is in octahedral coordination. Crystal structures of the complex are stabilized by hydrogen bonds and π···π interactions. The complexes and the Schiff base compound were assayed for antibacterial activities against three Gram-positive bacterial strains (B. subtilis, S. aureus, and St. faecalis) and three Gram-negative bacterial strains (E. coli, P. aeruginosa, and E. cloacae) by MTT method. As a result, the complexes showed effective antimicrobial activity against the microorganisms tested.
KeywordsSchiff base сopper(II) complex сobalt(III) complex X-ray diffraction hydrogen bonds antibacterial activity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Li, H.-H., Zhou, X.-X., and You, Z.-L., Chin. J. Inorg. Chem., 2013, vol. 29, no. 3, p. 649.Google Scholar
- 19.Mederos, A., Medina, A., Gili, P., et al., An. Quim., Ser. B., 1986, vol. 82, no. 3, p. 338.Google Scholar
- 20.Sheldrick, G.M., SAINT (version 6.02), SADABS (version 2.03), Bruker AXS lnc., Madison, 2002.Google Scholar
- 21.Sheldrick, G.M. SHELXL-97, A Program for Crystal Structure Solution, Göttingen Univ. of Göttingen, 1997.Google Scholar
- 22.Meletiadis, J., Meis, J.F., Mouton, J.W., et al., J. Clin. Microbiol., 2000, vol. 38, no. 8, p. 2949.Google Scholar