Phenomenon of Concretions Occurrence on the Ocean Bottom
The paradox of the long-term existence of ferromanganese concretions on the ocean floor is considered. It is known that nodules do not sink in the less dense medium of liquefied sediments and have been located on the bottom surface since their genesis over many thousands or even millions of years. At the same time, river and sea sludge easily sucks up other objects (of the same density), which in some way fall to the bottom. We propose an original mechanism explaining this paradox, which is based on a combination of three physicochemical phenomena.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Barenblatt, G.I. and Baturin, G.N., On the unsinkability of ferromanganese concretions and some features of the nearbottom layer of the ocean, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR, 1989, vol. 308, no. 1, pp. 183–188.Google Scholar
- Baturin, G.N., Geokhimiya zhelezomargantsevykh konkretsii okeana (Geochemistry of Ferromanganese Concretions in the Ocean), Moscow: Nauka, 1968.Google Scholar
- Karakin, A.V., On the derivation of the main equations for melting ice the mechanics, in Fizika L’da i Ledotekhnika, Yakutsk: Yakutskii filial SO AN SSSR, 1974, pp. 87–97.Google Scholar
- Karakin, A.V., The general theory of compaction at a small porosity, Izv., Phys. Solid Earth, 1999, vol. 35, no. 12, pp. 13–26.Google Scholar
- Karakin, A.V., Compaction in media with inner boundaries, Russ. J. Earth Sci. (online journal), 2002, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 1–26. http://rjes.wdcb.ru./Google Scholar
- Karakin, A.V. and Lobkovskii, L.I., Mechanics of porous two-phase viscous deformable medium and some geophysical applications, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Mekh. Zhidk. Gaza, 1979a, no. 6, pp. 53–63.Google Scholar
- Karakin, A.V. and Lobkovskii, L.I., Mechanics of porous two-phase visco-deformed medium and its geophysical applications, Lett. Appl. Sci., 1979b, no. 17, pp. 797–805.Google Scholar
- Karakin, A.V. and Ramazanov, M.M., Plane two bodies problems in Stokes hydrodynamics, Mat. Modelir., 2016, vol. 28, no. 4, pp. 43–64.Google Scholar