Oceanic Loading and Local Distortions at the Baksan, Russia, and Gran Sasso, Italy, Strain Stations
- 10 Downloads
Reliable use of strain data in geophysical studies requires their preliminary correction for ocean loading and various local distortions. These effects, in turn, can be estimated from the tidal records which are contributed by solid and oceanic loading. In this work, we estimate the oceanic tidal loading at two European strain stations (Baksan, Russia, and Gran Sasso, Italy) by analyzing the results obtained with the different Earth and ocean models. The influence of local distortions on the strain measurements at the two stations is estimated.
Keywordsoceanic loading local distortions strain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Agnew, D.C., SPOTL: some programs for ocean-tide loading, SIO Ref. Ser. 96–8, La Jolla: Scripps Institution of Oceanography, 1996.Google Scholar
- Amoruso, A., Crescentini, L., Martino, S., Petitta, M., and Tallini, M., Correlation between groundwater flow and deformation in the fractured carbonate Gran Sasso aquifer (INFN underground laboratories, Central Italy), Water Resour. Res., 2014, vol. 50, no. 6, pp. 4858–4876. doi 10.1002/2013WR014491CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Eanes, R.J., Diurnal and semidiurnal tides from TOPEX/POSEIDON altimetry, EOS Trans. AGU, 1994, vol. 108.Google Scholar
- Harkrider, D., Surface waves in multilayered elastic media (2): higher mode spectra and spectral ratios from point sources in plane-layered earth models, Bull. Seismol. Soc. Am., 1970, vol. 60, pp. 1937–1987.Google Scholar
- Melchior, P., The Tides of the Planet Earth, 2nd ed., Oxford: Pergamon, 1983.Google Scholar
- Milyukov, V.K. and Myasnikov, A.V., Metrological characteristics of the Baksan laser interferometer, Izmer. Tekh., 2005, no. 12, pp. 26–30.Google Scholar
- Molodenskii, S.M., Determining the tidal deformational perturbations for plane Earth’s topography, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Fiz. Zemli, 1983, no. 7, pp. 80–96.Google Scholar
- Tamura, Y. and Agnew, D.C., Baytap08. Users Manual. Technical Report. La Jolla: Scripps Institution of Oceanography, 2008. http://repositories.cdlib.org/sio/techreport/82/Google Scholar