Kinetics of luminescence induced by sputtering metallic cadmium by a pulsed fast electron beam in helium
- 26 Downloads
Results of an experimental study of the kinetics of luminescence observed when a metallic cadmium foil is bombarded in a helium medium by a 3-ns pulsed beam of 150-keV fast electrons are reported. The foil was irradiated at gas pressures from 76 to 2280 Torr. At a foil temperature of T = 240° C, the de-excitation time of the Beitler levels of the Cd II ion was measured as a function of the buffer gas pressure and the constant of collision quenching of the 5s22D5/2 level of Cd II by He atoms was determined as k ≈ 3 × 10-29 cm6/s. The experimental data were compared with calculations performed for the gas—vapor mixture in order to find the fraction of excited Cd II ions in the 5s22D5/2 state produced directly as a result of sputtering of metallic cadmium by high-energy electrons and by components of the helium plasma. At a helium buffer gas pressure of P ≤ 2.5 atm and a temperature of the cadmium target of T = 240° C, the value of this quantity was found to be α = 0.28 + 0.23P (where P is the helium pressure in atmospheres).
KeywordsPlasma Chemical Reaction Helium Pressure Pulse Electron Beam Vapor Mixture Helium Plasma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Handbook of Physical Quantities, Ed. by I. S. Grigoriev and E. Z. Meilikhov (Energoatomizdat, Moscow, 1991; CRC, Boca Raton, 1997).Google Scholar
- 4.A. I. Mis’kevich and Liu Tao, Opt. Spektrosk. 105, 755 (2008) [Opt. Spectrosc. 105, 691 (2008)].Google Scholar
- 5.A. I. Mis’kevich and Zhao Syaolin’, Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 72(7), 122 (2002) [Tech. Phys. 47, 915 (2002)].Google Scholar
- 7.G. A. Plekhotkin and A. M. Shukhtin, Opt. Spektrosk. 54, 630 (1982) [Opt. Spectrosc. 54, 373 (1982)].Google Scholar
- 9.Smithells Metal Reference Book, Ed. by E. A. Brandes and G. B. Brooks (Butterworth Heinemann, Oxford, 1992), Chap. 8, pp. 8–55.Google Scholar
- 10.E. D. Poletaev, P. P. D’yachenko, M. Z. Tarasko, and Yu. A. Dyuzhov, in Proceedings of the 2nd Conference on the Plasma of Nuclear Excitation and Problems of Nuclear-Pumped Lasers, Arzamas-16, 1995, Vol. 1, pp. 121–133.Google Scholar
- 12.A. P. Kopai-Gora, A. I. Mis’kevich, and B. S. Salamakha, Prib. Tekh. Eksp., No. 5, 171 (1986).Google Scholar
- 13.W. R. Bennett, Ann. Phys. 18, 267 (1962).Google Scholar