Magnetic linear dichroism in photoemission from an ultrathin iron silicide film
- 45 Downloads
The effect of magnetic linear dichroism in photoemission of Fe 3p electrons was used to investigate the magnetic properties of the Si(100)2 × 1 surface on which iron films up to 10 monolayers thick were deposited at room temperature under ultrahigh vacuum. The experiments were performed with linearly polarized light (at a photon energy of 135 eV) incident at an angle of 30° to the surface. The photoelectron spectra were measured in a narrow solid angle oriented along the normal to the sample surface for two opposite magnetization directions which were parallel to the surface plane and perpendicular to the polarization vector of the light wave. An analysis of the data obtained showed that the effect has a threshold character and appears after deposition of eight Fe monolayers, when the ferromagnetic silicide Fe3Si is formed on the surface.
PACS numbers75.70.Ak 79.60.Dp
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 4.J. Alvarez, J. J. Hinarejos, E. G. Michel, G. R. Castro, and R. Miranda, Phys. Rev. B: Condens. Matter 45, 14042 (1992).Google Scholar
- 5.J. M. Gallego, J. M. Garcia, J. Alvarez, and R. M. Miranda, Phys. Rev. B: Condens. Matter 46, 13 339 (1992).Google Scholar
- 9.R. Klaesges, C. Carbone, W. Eberhardt, C. Pampuch, O. Rader, T. Kachel, and M. Gudat, Phys. Rev. B: Condens. Matter 56, 10801 (1997).Google Scholar
- 10.P. Bertoncini, P. Wetzel, D. Berlin, G. Gewinner, C. Ubhaq-Bouillet, and V. Pierron Bohnes, Phys. Rev. B: Condens. Matter 60, 11123 (1999).Google Scholar
- 12.M. V. Gomoyunova, I. I. Pronin, D. E. Malygin, S. M. Solov’ev, D. V. Vyalykh, and S. L. Molodtsov, Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 75(9), 106 (2005) [Tech. Phys. 50 (9), 1212 (2005)].Google Scholar
- 16.F. Sirotti and G. Rossi, Phys. Rev. B: Condens. Matter 49, 15 682 (1994).Google Scholar
- 18.J. Bansmann, L. Lu, K. H. Meiwes-Broer, T. Schlathoelter, and J. Braun, Phys. Rev. B: Condens. Matter 60, 13 860 (1999).Google Scholar
- 20.M. V. Gomoyunova and I. I. Pronin, Zh. Tekh. Fiz. 74(10), 1 (2004) [Tech. Phys. 49 (10), 1249 (2004)].Google Scholar