Forbidden Resonant Raman Scattering in GaAs/AlAs Superlattices: Experiment and Calculations
The Raman spectra of GaAs/AlAs(100) superlattices are calculated and studied experimentally for various wave-vector directions. The experiments are performed when applying a confocal optical microscope combined with a micro-Raman spectrometer for various scattering geometries both for phonons with a wave vector directed along the normal to a superlattice and in the in-plane geometry. The frequencies and eigenvectors of phonons are calculated in the extended Born model approximation taking into account Coulomb interaction in the rigid-ion approximation. The Raman spectra are calculated in the scope of the deformation- potential mechanism; herewith, it turns out that additional peaks, which are not described in the scope of this approach, appear in the experimental spectra. It seems likely that these peaks appear due to the manifestation of Raman scattering forbidden by selection rules under resonance conditions. An attempt is made to explain the appearance of these peaks in the experimental spectra within the scope of inelastic phonon scattering at bound charges (phonons with a large dipole moment).
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Light Scattering in Solids V: Superlattices and other Microstructures, Ed. by M. Cardona and G. Guntherodt (Springer, Berlin, 1989).Google Scholar
- 4.S. M. Rytov, Sov. Phys. JETP 2, 466 (1955).Google Scholar
- 7.B. Jusserand, D. Paquet, J. Kervarec, and A. Regreny, J. Phys. 45, C5 (1984).Google Scholar
- 19.V. A. Volodin, V. A. Sachkov, and I. S. Golovin, Phys. Express 4, 11 (2014).Google Scholar
- 24.Light Scattering in Solids, Ed. by M. Cardona (Springer, Berlin, 1975), Vol.1.Google Scholar
- 25.M. V. Vol’kenshtein, Dokl. Akad. Nauk SSSR 32, 185 (1941).Google Scholar
- 26.V. A. Sachkov, Extended Abstract of Cand. Sci. Dissertation (Omsk, 2011).Google Scholar
- 32.V. A. Volodin, G. K. Krivyakin, V. A. Sachkov, and M. P. Sinyukov, in Proceedings of the 24th International Sympoisum on Nanostructures: Physics and Technology, June 27–July 1, 2016, St. Petersburg, p.274.Google Scholar
- 36.I. N. Meshkov and B. V. Chirikov, Electromagnetic Field, Part. 2: Electromagnetic Waves and Optics (Nauka, Novosibirsk, 1987) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 37.V. A. Gaisler, Extended Abstract of Doctoral Dissertation (Novosibirsk, 1996).Google Scholar