Control of Coherent Structures via External Drive of the Breathing Mode
- 26 Downloads
The Hall thruster exhibits two types of large-scale coherent structures: axially propagating breathing mode (m = 0) and azimuthal, with low m, typically m = 1, spoke mode. In our previous work, it was demonstrated that axial breathing mode can be controlled via the external modulations of the anode potential. Two regimes of the thruster response, linear and nonlinear, have been revealed depending on the modulation amplitude. In this work, using the high-speed camera images and developed image-processing technique, we have investigated the response of the azimuthal mode to the external modulations. We have found that, in linear regime, at low modulation voltages, axial and azimuthal structures coexist. At larger amplitudes, in the nonlinear regime, the azimuthal mode is suppressed, and only axial driven mode remains.
This work was supported by DOE. We acknowledge Yuan Shi, Scott Keller, Ahmed Diallo, and Igor Kaganovich for fruitful discussions and Alex Merzhevskiy for his technical support.
- 3.A. Morozov, Y. Esipchuk, A. Kapulkin, V. Nevrovskii, and V. Smirnov, Sov. Phys. Tech. Phys. 17, 428 (1972).Google Scholar
- 4.A. Morozov, in Proceedings of the 2nd All-Union Conference on Plasma Accelerators, Minsk, 1974, Ed. by A. I. Morozov (Nauka i Tekhnika, Minsk, 1974), Vol. 1, p. 224.Google Scholar
- 5.A. I. Morozov, Physical Principles of Space Electric Propulsion Thrusters (Atomizdat, Moscow, 1978) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 6.A. Morozov, in Proceedings of the 23rd International Electric Propulsion Conference, Seattle, WA, 1993, Paper IEPC-93-101.Google Scholar
- 9.C. Ellison, Y. Raitses, and N. Fisch, IEEE Trans. Plasma Sci. 99, 1 (2011).Google Scholar
- 12.S. Keller, Y. Raitses, and A. Diallo, in Proceedings of the 50th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference, Cleveland, OH, 2014, Paper AIAA 2014-3509.Google Scholar
- 14.V. V. Arsenin, High Temp. 8, 1202 (1970).Google Scholar
- 20.J. Fife, M. Martínez-Sánchez, and J. Szaboin, in Proceedings of the 33rd AIAA Joint Propulsion Conference, Seattle, WA, 1997, p. 3052.Google Scholar
- 21.A. Morozov and V. Savelyev, in Reviews of Plasma Physics, Ed. by B. B. Kadomtsev and V. D. Shafranov (Consultant Bureau, New York, 2000), Vol. 21, p. 203.Google Scholar
- 24.A. I. Morozov, in Plasma Accelerators, Ed. by L. A. Artsimovich, S. D. Grishin, G. L. Grozdovskii, L. V. Leskov, A. I. Morozov, A. M. Dorodnov, V. G. Padalka, and M. I. Pergament (Mashinostroenie, Moscow, 1973), p. 85 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 29.V. Nevrovskii, PhD Thesis (Kurchatov Institute, Moscow, 1971).Google Scholar
- 38.M. McDonald, PhD Thesis (University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI, 2012).Google Scholar