Mathematical modeling of gas-dynamic and radiative processes in experiments with the use of laser and heavy-ion beams
- 57 Downloads
Results are presented from theoretical and experimental studies of gas-dynamic and radiative processes in the plasma that is planned to be used in future experiments on the stopping of fast heavy-ion beams. These experiments are aimed at measuring the enhanced (as compared to cold substance) plasma stopping power. To reliably interpret the experimental results, it is necessary to create a hydrodynamically stable homogeneous plasma with a uniform temperature and a lifetime exceeding the transit time of the heavy-ion beam (3–5 ns). The method for calculating plasma gas-dynamic characteristics with allowance for radiative heat transfer is described. The specific features of the so-called ion model of plasma, which is used to calculate plasma radiative characteristics, are discussed. The emission spectrum formed as a result of conversion of laser radiation into X-rays and the subsequent passing through a triacetate cellulose (C12H16O8) target is calculated. The simulated spectrum of transmitted radiation satisfactorily agrees with experimental data.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Ya. B. Zel’dovich and Yu. P. Raizer, Elements of Gas Dynamics and the Classical Theory of Shock Waves (Nauka, Moscow, 1966; Academic, New York, 1968).Google Scholar
- 10.O. N. Rosmej, N. Zhidkov, V. Vatulin, et al., in GSI Scientific Report 2009, Ed. by K. Grosse (GSI Helmholtzzentrum für Schwerionenforschung, Darmstadt, 2010), p. 387.Google Scholar
- 17.A. F. Nikiforov and V. B. Uvarov, Chisl. Metody Mekh. Sploshn. Sred 4(4), 114 (1973).Google Scholar
- 25.B. N. Chetverushkin, Mathematical Modeling of Radiating Gas Dynanics (Nauka, Moscow, 1985) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 26.T. K. Govorun, G. A. Evseev, and T. V. Mishchenko, Preprint No. 176 (Keldysh Inst. of Applied Mathematics, Russian Academy of Sciences, Moscow, 1986).Google Scholar
- 28.A. F. Nikiforov, V. G. Novikov, and V. B. Uvarov, Quantum-Statistical Models of High-Temperature Plasma (Fizmatlit, Moscow, 2000) [in Russian].Google Scholar