Cherenkov Water Detectors in Particle Physics and Cosmic Rays
- 17 Downloads
Among various types of Cherenkov detectors (solid, liquid and gaseous) created for different studies, the most impressive development was gained by water detectors: from the first detector with a volume of several liters in which the Cherenkov radiation was discovered, to the IceCube detector with a volume of one cubic kilometer. The review of the development of Cherenkov water detectors for various purposes and having different locations − ground-based, underground and underwater–is presented in the paper. The prospects of their further development are also discussed.
KeywordsCherenkov radiation Cherenkov water detectors cosmic rays neutrino telescopes gamma-ray astronomy muons extensive air showers
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.P. A. Cherenkov, Dokl. Acad. Sci. USSR 2, 451 (1934).Google Scholar
- 3.I. E. Tamm and I. M. Frank, Dokl. Acad. Sci. USSR 14, 107 (1937).Google Scholar
- 9.N. L. Dadykin, Instrum. Exp. Tech. 1, 60 (1962).Google Scholar
- 10.Yu. N. Vavilov et al., Sov. Phys. JETP 17, 333 (1963).Google Scholar
- 19.M. A. Markov, in Proceedings of the International Conference on High Energy Physics (ICHEP), Rochester, 1960, p.578.Google Scholar
- 26.K. Abe et al., arXiv:1611.06118 (2016).Google Scholar
- 29.M. G. Aartsen et al. (IceCube-Gen2 Collab.), arXiv:1412.5106 (2014).Google Scholar
- 30.V. V. Borog et al., in Proceedings of the 16th International Cosmic Ray Conference (ICRC), Kyoto, 1979, Vol. 10, p. 380.Google Scholar