Application of Crystal Elements for Charged Particle Beam Steering and Radiation Beam Generation on the U-70 Synchrotron
- 10 Downloads
Works on the formation of particle and radiation beams using particle channeling and reflection in oriented crystals have been carried out at IHEP over a number of years. Comprehensive theoretical and experimental studies have led to the creation of actually operating systems on the U-70 accelerator. In particular, a slow proton beam extraction with unprecedentedly high parameters, an extraction efficiency of about 85% at a beam intensity of 1012 particles per cycle, has been realized on U-70 using particle channeling in short bent crystals. Experiments to implement the method of particle reflection in crystals for beam extraction and collimation have been carried out on U-70. At present, crystal elements are used in regular U-70 runs and provide half of the particle beams for physical experiments. We summarize the results of this unique experience in the world practice of accelerators and outline its prospects.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.V. Shiltsev et al., IPAC-2010-TUOAMH03, FERMILAB-CONF-10-127-APC.Google Scholar
- 5.Yu. A. Chesnokov, A. G. Afonin, V. T. Baranov, et al., Nuovo Cim. 34, 407 (2011).Google Scholar
- 6.M. D. Bavizhev et al., IHEP Preprint 1989-77 (Inst. High Energy Phys., Protvino, 1989).Google Scholar
- 21.D. Lietti, E. Bagli, S. Baricordi, A. Berra, D. Bolognini, P. N. Chirkov, P. Dalpiaz, G. Della Mea, D. De Salvador, S. Hasan, V. Guidi, V. A. Maisheev, A. Mazzolari, M. Prest, E. Vallazza, D. Vincenzi, and I. A. Yazynin, Nucl. Instrum. Methods Phys. Res., Sect. 283, 84 (2012).ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.A. G. Afonin et al., JETP Lett. (2018, in press).Google Scholar