Mechanisms of Rotational Dynamics of Chiral Liquid Crystal Droplets in an Electric Field
- 30 Downloads
The dynamics of the orientational structure of chiral nematic (CN) droplets in an isotropic medium in dc and ac electric fields is investigated by the polarized light microscopy technique. It is shown theoretically that the dynamics of rotational processes in these kinds of systems is determined by electroconvective processes developing due to the flexoelectric polarization associated with the initial configuration of the director field in droplets. It is established experimentally that the linear and quadratic regions of dependence of the rotational velocity of droplets on the electric field strength are explained by the above-mentioned mechanisms. Numerical simulation on the basis of the approach developed gives good agreement with experimental data.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. P. Crawford and S. Zumer, Liquid Crystals in Complex Geometries (Taylor and Francis, London, 1996).Google Scholar
- 2.G. E. Volovik and O. D. Lavrentovich, Sov. Phys. JETP 58, 1159 (1983).Google Scholar
- 5.G. M. Zharkova and A. C. Sonin, Liquid Crystal Composites (Nauka, Novosibirsk, 1994) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 7.J. W. Doane, A. Golemme, J. L. West, J. B. Whitehead, and B. G. Wu, Mol. Cryst. Liq. Cryst. 165, 511 (1988).Google Scholar
- 21.P. G. de Gennes and J. Prost, The Physics of Liquid Crystals (Clarendon, Oxford, 1993).Google Scholar
- 22.N. V. Madhusudana, in Modern Topics in Liquid Crystals, Ed. by A. Buka (World Scientific, Singapore, 1989), p. 195.Google Scholar
- 25.S. A. Pikin, Structural Transformations in Liquid Crystals (Nauka, Moscow, 1981; Gordon and Breach Sci., New York, 1991).Google Scholar
- 26.L. D. Landau and E. M. Lifshitz, Course of Theoretical Physics, Vol. 8: Electrodynamics of Continuous Media (Nauka, Moscow, 1982; Pergamon, New York, 1984).Google Scholar
- 27.O. S. Tarasov, PhD Thesis (Univ. Bayreuth, 2003).Google Scholar