Evolution of the vanadium pentoxide V2O5 crystal surface after vacuum annealing
- 41 Downloads
A complex study of the (001) cleavage surface of a V2O5 single crystal annealed in vacuum at 450 and 550°C has been performed. Tunnel microscopy of the sample surface annealed in vacuum at 550°C showed the formation of a plane with a corundum structure, reconstructed according to the V2O3 (0001)-(1/√3 × 1/√3)R30° type, on the surface. X-ray photoelectron spectroscopy revealed a significant modification of interatomic bonds in the surface layers of V2O5 single crystal after vacuum annealing at 550°C, which is related to the partial reduction of V5+ ions and formation of lower vanadium oxides. These modifications lead to a decrease in the electrical resistivity of V2O5 and the occurrence of bending at a temperature of 61.5°С in the temperature dependence of the sample resistance, which is indicative of phase transition.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.G. A. Berezovskii and I. E. Paukov, Izv. SO Akad. Nauk SSSR, No. 2(4), 19 (1981).Google Scholar
- 3.A. A. Bugaev, B. P. Zakharchena, and F. A. Chudnovskii, Metal–Semiconductor Phase Transition and Its Application (Nauka, Leningrad, 1978) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 4.O. V. Lyakh, Candidate’s Dissertation in Technical Sciences (Omsk, 2012).Google Scholar
- 7.A. L. Pergament, A. L. Stefanovich, and F. A. Chudnovskii, Fiz. Tverd. Tela 36 (10), 2988 (1994).Google Scholar
- 12.A. A. Baranov, M. S. Tret’yakova, S. A. Zhukova, and V. E. Turkov, Prikl. Fiz., No. 5, 55 (2016).Google Scholar
- 13.O. Ya. Berezina, V. P. Zlomanov, D. A. Kirienko, et al., Sovrem. Probl. Nauki Obraz., No. 4, 306 (2013).Google Scholar
- 14.N. Fairley, Casa XPS Manual (Casa Sofware, USA, 2010), p. 176.Google Scholar
- 17.V. I. Nefedov, X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy of Chemical Compounds: A Handbook (Khimiya, Moscow, 1884) [in Russian], p. 150.Google Scholar
- 18.Surface Analysis by Auger-and X-Ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy, Ed. by D. Briggs and M. P. Seah (Wiley, Chichester, 1983).Google Scholar