Thermal radio emission and absorption in HII regions in the vicinity of remnants of type II supernovae
- 25 Downloads
Data on thermal radio emission and absorption in and near the directions towards supernova remnants are used to estimate the distribution of ionized gas surrounding remnants of type II supernovae. The amount of absorption and emission toward the supernova remnants are determined by two types of HII regions. The first are extended HII regions around the supernova remnants (Strömgren spheres), while the second are more compact and bright HII regions surrounding early-type stars. In the early stages of evolution of the supernova remnants (1000–3000 yrs), the amount of thermal absorption and emission is minimum, apparently indicating that only the supernova Strömgren zones contribute in these stages, while there is an absence of absorption or emission from the compact HII regions. Possible mechanisms for this scenario are discussed.
PACS numbers98.38.Mz 98.38.Hv 95.85.Bh
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. V. Pynzar’ and V. I. Shishov, Astron. Zh. 78, 585 (2001) [Astron. Rep. 45, 502 (2001)].Google Scholar
- 2.A. V. Pynzar’ and V. I. Shishov, Astron. Zh. 80, 317 (2003) [Astron. Rep. 47, 288 (2003)].Google Scholar
- 4.J. Rho, PhD. Thesis (Univ. of Maryland at College Park, USA, 1995), p. 327.Google Scholar
- 5.D. K. Milne, in IAU Colloquium no. 101: Supernova Remnants and the Interstellar Medium, Ed. by R. S. Roger and T. L. Landecker (Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1988), p. 351.Google Scholar
- 6.T. A. Lozinskaya, Supernovae and Stellar Wind in the Interstallar Medium (Nauka, Moscow, 1986; American Inst. of Physics, New York, 1992).Google Scholar
- 7.A. V. Kovalenko, A. V. Pynzar’, and V. A. Udal’tsov, Astron. Zh. 72, 396 (1995) [Astron. Rep. 39, 708 (1995)].Google Scholar
- 9.G. A. Dulk and O. B. Slee, Aust. J. Phys. 199, 61 (1975).Google Scholar
- 11.S. A. Kaplan and S. B. Pikel’ner, The Interstellar Medium (Nauka, Moscow, 1979; Harvard Univ. Press, Cambridge, 1970).Google Scholar
- 17.L. Spitzer, Jr., Physical Processes in the Interstellar Medium (Wiley, New York, 1978).Google Scholar