Procedure and results of seismic investigations into causes of landslides in permafrost rocks
- 60 Downloads
The article focuses on seismic monitoring of causes of landslides. Such studies are of great importance in open pit mining in permafrost rocks. Extensive mining-induced impact in combination with natural thawing of permafrost as a consequence of the planet warming may end in catastrophe. The authors describe a procedure for plotting velocity profiles of seismic waves along slopes in the presence of extremely contrast discontinuities conditioned by permafrost rocks. The presented approach enables studying slip surfaces of landslides and detecting potential failure zones where wave velocities are lower due to extensive jointing. The processed field data obtained in the area near Chagan-Uzun settlement in Kosh-Agach district of the Republic of Altai are reported.
KeywordsPermafrost rock slope stability landslides shallow seismic exploration P-waves travel–time field method tomography slip surface
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Velikin, S.A., Marchenko, Yu.I., and Bazhin, K.I, Geophysical Studies of Geotechnical–Geocryological State of Host Rock Mass of the Eastern Pitwall in Nyurbinsky Open Pit Mine (Western Yakutia), Vestn. KRAUNTs, Series on Geosciences, 2015, no. 3, pp. 35–46.Google Scholar
- 2.Bulygina, O.N., Korshunova, N.N., and Razuvaev, V.N, Application-Specific Databases on Climatic Resources for Different Economy Sectors, Climatic Resources and Their Representations for Application: Conf. Proc., Saint-Petersburg, 2005, pp. 146–150.Google Scholar
- 3.Rekomendatsii po inzhenerno-geologicheskim izyskaniyam v raionakh razvitiya opolznei (Guidelines for Engineering–Geological Studies in landslide Areas), Moscow: 1969.Google Scholar
- 4.Voronkov, O.K., Motorin, G.A., Mikhailovsky, G.V., and Kuntsevich, S.P., Seismo-Geological Classifications of Ground in Permafrost Zone, Kriosfera Zemli, 1997, no. 3, pp. 47–54.Google Scholar
- 5.Skvortsov, A.G., Sadurtinov, M.R., and Tsarev, A.M, Seismic Criteria to Identify Frozen Rocks, Kriosfera Zemli, 2014, no. 2, pp. 83–90.Google Scholar
- 6.Gol’din, S.V., Kisileva, L.G., Pashkov, V.G., and Chernyak, V.S., 2D Kinematic Interpretation of Seismograms in Layered Media, Trudy IGiG SORAN, 1993, issue 808.Google Scholar
- 8.Serdyukov, A.S., Patutin, A.V., and Shilova, T.V, Numerical Evaluation of the Truncated Singular Value Decomposition within the Seismic Traveltimes Tomography Framework, Journal of Siberian Federal University. Mathematics & Physics, 2014, vol. 7, no. 2.Google Scholar