Condition of Sex Glands in the Young of the Current Year of Rainbow Trout Subjected to Surfagon Injections
- 8 Downloads
Condition of sex glands and thyroid and steroid hormone levels in the blood are assessed in the young of the current year of rainbow trout cultivated in the high-mountain area of South Vietnam and subjected to injections of surfagon (synthetic analogue of gonadotropin-releasing hormone). In the conditions of the trout hatchery (Vietnam), gonads of the young of the current year are characterized by substantial anomalies, including an appearance (in addition to females and males) of hermaphrodite and sterile individuals. A single injection of surfagon 1 month after hatching leads to stabilization of the development of sex glands and decrease of the proportion of sterile individuals (from 41 to 22%). This study is the first attempt of the assessment of the effect of the injection of gonadotropin-releasing hormone analogue on the development of sex glands in the early ontogeny of fishes.
Keywordsrainbow trout Parasalmo mykiss Vietnam surfagon sex glands testosterone estradiol triiodthyronin thyroxine
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Belova, N.V., Radiation effects on the reproductive system of teleost fish—the consequences of the Chernobyl Disaster, Extended Abstract of Doctoral (Biol.) Dissertation, Moscow: MGU, 2008.Google Scholar
- Chebanov, M.S., Galich, E.V., and Chmyr’, Yu.N., Rukovodstvo po razvedeniyu i vyrashchivaniyu osetrovykh ryb (Guidelines for Breeding and Growing Sturgeons), Moscow: FGNU Rosinformagrotekh, 2004.Google Scholar
- Emel’yanova, N.G., Pavlov, D.A., Pavlov, E.D., Luong Thi Bich Thuan, and Vo Thi Ha, Anomalies in ovarian condition of Manybar goatfish Parupeneus multifasciatus (Mullidae) from the coastal zone of South Central Vietnam, J. Ichthyol., 2014, vol. 54, no. 1, pp. 76–84. http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/speciesSummary.php? ID=239&AT=rainbow+trout.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Makeeva, A.P., Embriologiya ryb (Fish Embryology), Moscow: Izd. MGU, 1992.Google Scholar
- Mikodina, E.V. and Pukova, N.V., Metodicheskie rekomendatsii po izucheniyu fenodeviantov semennikov u dal’nevostochnykh lososei (Guidelines for the Study of Testes of Pacific Salmon Phenetic Deviants), Moscow: Ekonomika i informatika, 2002.Google Scholar
- Murza, I.G. and Khristoforov, O.L., Opredelenie stepeni zrelosti gonad i prognozirovanie vozrasta dostizheniya polovoi zrelosti u atlanticheskogo lososya i kumzhi (Determination of the Degree of Maturity of Gonads and the Prediction of Age of the Onset of Maturity for Atlantic Salmon and Trout), Leningrad: Izd. Gos- NIORKh, 1991.Google Scholar
- Pavlov, E.D., Ganzha, E.V., Ponomareva, V.Yu., Kostin, V.V., Pavlov, D.S., and Vo Thi Ha, Effect of methyltestosterone on physiological state and rheoreaction of rainbow trout Parasalmo mykiss (=Oncorhynchus mykiss) under unfavorable keeping conditions, J. Ichthyol., 2016, vol. 56, no. 6, pp. 904–916.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Powell, J.F.F., Brackett, J., and Battaglia, J.A., Induced and synchronized spawning of captive broodstock using Ovaplant and Ovaprim, Bull. Aquacult. Assoc. Canada, 1998, vol. 3, pp. 14–18.Google Scholar
- Romeis, B., Mikroskopicheskaya tekhnika (Microscopic Technique), Moscow: Izd. Inostr. Lit., 1953.Google Scholar
- Rozen, V.B., Osnovy endokrinologii (Fundamentals of Endocrinology), Moscow: Izd. MGU, 1994.Google Scholar