Genetic Diversity in Populations of Silver Crucian Carp Carassius auratus gibelio (Cyprinidae, Cypriniformes), Depending on the Type of Reproduction and Reservoir Size
This paper presents data on the polymorphism of inter simple sequence repeats of DNA in the silver crucian carp Carassius auratus gibelio in water bodies in the southern part of Western Siberia. The share of polymorphic ISSR-PCR bands in silver crucian carp populations from different lakes varied from 40 to 70%, and Nei’s gene diversity index varied from 0.16 to 0.25. The genetic diversity indices were lower in the populations that were largely represented by females than in bisexual ones. The highest levels of genetic polymorphism were revealed in populations with diploid–triploid complexes. The gene diversity index of the silver crucian carp population is positively correlated with the reservoir size (r = 0.90, p = 0.015; Rs = 0.74, p = 0.036).
Keywordssilver crucian carp Carassius auratus gibelio polymorphism ISSR population genetic structure Western Siberia
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Apalikova O.V. Phylogenetic analysis of two forms of the silver crucian carp Carassius auratus gibelio Bloch based on variation of the mitochondrial DNA, Cand. Sci. (Biol.) Dissertation, Vladivostok, 2008.Google Scholar
- Apalikova, O.V., Eliseikina, M.G., Kovalev, M.Yu., and Brykov, Vl.A., Collation of data on the ploidy levels and mitochondrial DNA phylogenetic lineages in the silver crucian carp Carassius auratus gibelio from Far Eastern and Central Asian populations, Russ. J. Genet., 2008, vol. 44, no. 7, pp. 873–880.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Spirina, E.V., Features of the sex structure of silver crucian carp populations in water bodies of the Ulyanovsk oblast, Vestn. Altaisk. Gos. Agrarn. Univ., 2011, no. 2 (76), pp. 66–70.Google Scholar
- STATISTICA for Windows (Computer program manual), Tulsa, OK: StatSoft, Inc., 1998.Google Scholar
- Wali, A., Syed, M., Bhat, B.A., Balkhi, M.H., Bhat, F.A., and Darzi, M.M., Genetic diversity of Cyprinus carpio var. communis, Cyprinus carpio var. specularis and Carassius carassius by DNA based markers, Int. J. Aquaculture, 2013, vol. 3, no. 24, pp. 138–146.Google Scholar
- Yankova N.V. Ecological and morphological features of diploid–triploid complexes of silver crucian carp Carassius auratus gibelio (Bloch): a case study of lakes of the Tobol–Tavda interfluve, Cand. Sci. (Biol.) Dissertation, Tyumen, 2006.Google Scholar
- Yeh, F.C., Yang, R., and Boyle, T., POPGENE. Version 1.31 [Electronic resource], Univ. Alberta and Centre Intern. Forestry Res., 1999. http://www.ualberta.ca/~fyeh/download. htm (accessed July 10, 2015).Google Scholar
- Zhigileva, O.N., Baranova, O.G., Pozhidaev, V.V., Brol, I.S., and Moiseenko, T.I., Comparative analysis of using isozyme and ISSR-PCR-markers for population differentiation of cyprinid fish, Turkish J. Fish. Aquat. Sci., 2013, vol. 13, no. 1, pp. 159–168.Google Scholar