Arthropod Abundance at Bustard Nesting Sites in the Saratov Trans-Volga Region
The results of study of the quantitative and qualitative composition of arthropod communities at potential nesting areas of great bustard (Otis tarda) in the Saratov Trans-Volga region are reported. Specific data collected at seven areas (two plowed fields, two fields of winter and spring wheat, two fallows of different ages, and virgin land) in 2012 are presented. Comparative analysis of some parameters of arthropod abundance and biomass on chemical-treated and untreated winter crop fields has been conducted. The results obtained have been compared to those of previous years. The current conditions for rearing of nestlings on natural fallow lands of different ages and on early-spring crop fields in the Saratov Trans-Volga region during the nesting period of O. tarda are favorable. The abundance and composition of arthropods in winter crop fields treated with a complex of chemicals do not meet the requirements for the rearing of O. tarda nestlings.
KeywordsOtis tarda habitat food supply arthropods abundance biomass Trans-Volga region
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Litzbarski, B., Litzbarski, H., and Petrick, S., Zur Ökologie und zum Schutz der Groβtrappe (Otis tarda L.) im Bezirk Potsdam, Acta Ornithoecologica, 1987, vol. 1, pp. 199–244.Google Scholar
- Litzbarski, H., Block, B., Block, P., Holländer, K., Jaschke, W., Litzbarski, B., and Petrick, S., Untersuchungen zur Habitatstruktur und zum Nahrungsangebot an Brutplätzen der Groβtrappen (Otis tarda L., 1758) in Spanien, Ungarn und Deutschland, Naturschutz und Landschaftspflege in Brandenburg, 1996, vol. 5, nos. 1/2, pp. 41–51.Google Scholar
- Litzbarski, H. and Watzke, H., Studies of arthropod populations essential in the diet of great bustard chicks at breeding sites in the Saratov region, Bustard Studies, 2007, vol. 6, pp. 37–51.Google Scholar
- Oparin, M.L., Oparina, O.S., Kondratenkov, I.A., Mamaev, A.B., and Piskunov, V.V., Factors contributing to the long-term dynamics of abundance of the Transvolga population of bustard (Otis tarda L.), Povolzh. Ekol. Zh., 2012, no. 3, pp. 278–294.Google Scholar
- Oparina, O.S., Oparin, M.L., Kapranova, T.A., and Vatske, Kh., Abundance of arthropods in different sections of the breeding range of bustard in Saratov Transvolga region, Povolzh. Ekol. Zh., 2002, no. 1, pp. 35–45.Google Scholar
- Oparina, O.S., Kondratenkov, I.A., Oparin, M.L., Mamaev, A.B., and Trofimova, L.S., The dynamics of abundance of the Transvolga population of bustard (Otididae, Aves), Povolzh. Ekol. Zh., 2015, no. 4, pp. 422–430.Google Scholar