Phenotypic and phytochemical differences between Mentha arvensis L. and Mentha canadiensis L.
- 93 Downloads
A taxonomic study of anatomical, morphological, and phytochemical characteristics of Mentha arvensis L. and Mentha canadiensis L. using hierarchical cluster analysis has been conducted and the differences between the species studied have been revealed. The ratio between the lengths of the calyx tube and the calyx lobes, the number of secretory glands on the upper and lower surfaces of the leaf, and the composition of the essential oil were shown to be the most appropriate parameters for classification.
KeywordsBiology Bulletin Menthol Secretory Gland Menthone Pulegone
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bugaenko, L.A., Geneticheskie zakonomernosti biosinteza terpenoidov u myaty (Genetic Patterns in the Biosynthesis of Mint Terpenoids), Simferopol’: Biznes-Inform, 2011.Google Scholar
- Bugaenko, L.A. and Shilo, N.P., Poliploidiya i mezhvidovaya gibridizatsiya u myaty (Polyploidy and Interspecific Hybridization in Mint), Simferopol’: Biznes-Inform, 2012.Google Scholar
- Doron’kin, V.M., Mentha, L., Flora Sibiri (Mentha L., Flora of Siberia), vol. 11, Malyshev, L.I., Ed., Novosibirsk: Nauka, 1997.Google Scholar
- Makarov, V.V., Wild Mints of the USSR, Cand. Sci. (Biol.) Dissertation, Moscow: Gos. Bot. Sad Ross. Akad. Nauk, 1972.Google Scholar
- Shelepova, O.V., Voronkova, T.V., Smirnova, I.M., and Enina, O.L., Features of the glandular apparatus of plants Mentha arvensis L. of different geographical origin, Izv. Samar. NTs RAN, 2012, vol. 14, no. 1 (7), pp. 1884–1887.Google Scholar
- Tucker, A.O. and Naczi, R.F.C., Mentha: an overview of its classification and relationships, in Mint: The Genus Mentha. Medical and Aromatic Plants—Industrial Profiles, Lawrence, B.M., Ed., Boca Raton: CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group, 2007, vol. 44, pp. 3–39.Google Scholar
- Voronkova, T.V., Shelepova, O.V., and Bidyukova, G.F., Seed productivity of bisexual and pistillate plants of Mentha arvensis L., Modern Phytomorphol., 2013, vol. 4, pp. 141–144.Google Scholar