New cysteine-modifying reagents: Efficiency of derivatization and influence on the signals of the protonated molecules of disulfide-containing peptides in matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization mass spectrometry
- 126 Downloads
Mass spectrometric de novo sequencing of skin secretion peptides from genus Rana is complicated because of C-terminal disulfide cycles present in their structure. Brevinin-1E and brevinin-2Ec from the skin secretion of the Marsh Frog R. ridibunda were used for a comparative study of six N-phenylmaleimide derivatives as new alkylating agents for cysteine thiol moieties. The paper describes the synthesis and confirmation of the structures of the obtained compounds. A procedure was developed for modifying thiol groups with the proposed reagents. Alkylation efficiency and the effect on the peak intensity in matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization (MALDI) spectra were investigated. The best results were obtained for 2,4- and 2,5-dimethylphenylmaleimides. Additionally tested iodoacetic acid was shown to be a powerful modifier of thiol groups, while its excess notably increases the intensities of the peaks of protonated molecules in the MALDI mass spectra of both peptides.
Keywordsdisulfide-containing peptides alkylation cysteine N-phenylmaleimide MALDI-TOF iodoacetic acid
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Conlon, J.M., Kolodziejek, J., and Nowotny, N., Biochem. Biophys. Acta, 2004, vol. 1696, no.1, p. 1.Google Scholar
- 10.Artemenko, K.A., Samgina, T.Yu., and Lebedev, A.T., Massspektrometria, 2006, vol. 3, no.4, p. 225.Google Scholar
- 13.Hirs, C.H.W., in Methods in Enzymology, Hirs, C.H.W., Ed., Oxford: Acad. Press, 1967, p. 197.Google Scholar
- 19.Samgina, T.Y., Gorshkov, V.A., Artemenko, K.A., Vorontsov, Y.A., Kovalev, S.V., and Lebedev, A.T., Proc. 56th ASMS Conf. on Mass Spectrometry and Aplied Topics, Denver, 2008.Google Scholar
- 20.Yoshitake, Y., Misaka, J., Setoguchi, K., Abe, M., Kawaji, T., Eto, M., and Harano, K., J. Chem. Soc., Perkin Trans., 2002, no.9, p. 1611.Google Scholar
- 23.Lewis, J.K., Wei, J., and Suzdak, G., in Encyclopedia of Analytical Chemistry, Meyers, R.A., Ed., Chichester: Wiley, 2000, p. 5880.Google Scholar