Optimizing the Quantization Parameters of the JPEG Compressor to a High Quality of Fine-Detail Rendition
- 1 Downloads
This paper describes a new algorithm for adaptive selection of DCT quantization parameters in the JPEG compressor. The quantization parameters are selected by classification of blocks based on the composition of fine details whose contrast exceeds the threshold visual sensitivity. Fine details are identified by an original search and recognition algorithm in the N-CIELAB normalized color space, which allows us to take visual contrast sensitivity into account. A distortion assessment metric and an optimization criterion for quantization of classified blocks to a high visual quality are proposed. A comparative analysis of test images in terms of compression parameters and quality degradation is presented. The new algorithm is experimentally shown to improve the compression of photorealistic images by 30% on average while preserving their high visual quality.
Keywordsimage analysis identification of fine details contrast sensitivity JPEG
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.W. B. Pennebaker and J. L. Mitchel, JPEG Still Image Data Compression Standard (Springer, New York, 1992).Google Scholar
- 3.F. Ernawan, and S. H. Nugraini, “The optimal quantization matrices for JPEG image compression from psychovisual threshold,” J. Theor. Appl. Inf. Techn. 70 (3), 566–572 (2014).Google Scholar
- 4.B. Aruna and Ch. Ramesh “A method for signaling block-adaptive quantization in baseline sequential JPEG,” Int. J. Modern Eng. Res. 2 (4), 2829–2831 (2012).Google Scholar
- 5.G. Gowripushpa, G. Santoshi, B. Ravikiran, J. Sharmila Rani, and K. Sri Harsha, “Implementation of ROI based baseline sequential adaptive quantization,” Int. J. Emerging Technol. Adva. Eng. 4 (2) (2014).Google Scholar
- 6.R. C. Gonzalez and R. E. Woods, Digital Image Processing, 3rd ed. (Prentice Hall, 2008).Google Scholar
- 7.M. D. Fairchild, Color Appearance Models (John Wiley and Sons, 2005).Google Scholar
- 9.S. V. Sai, N. Yu. Sorokin, and A. G. Shoberg, “Segmentation of fine details in the CIELAB,” in Proc. 24th Int. Conf. in Central Europe on Computer Graphics, Visualization and Computer Vision. WSCG 2016 (Plzen, May 30–June 3, 2016), pp. 155–162.Google Scholar
- 10.S. V. Sai, “Fine-detail level of photorealistic images: application in the multimedia system,” in Proc. IEEE Int. Siberian Conf. on Control and Communications (SIBCON-2015) (Omsk, 2015).Google Scholar
- 12.D. B. Judd, Color in Business, Science and Industry (John Wiley & Sons, 1975).Google Scholar
- 13.S. V. Sai, “Image segmentation algorithm in the system focusing digital camera,” in Proc. SPIE, Vol. 10176: Fundamental and Applied Problems of Photonics: Selected Papers of APCOM’2016 (2016).Google Scholar