Scale-space color blob and ridge detection
- 181 Downloads
Feature detection in color images frequently consists in image conversion from color to grayscale and then one of grayscale detectors application. This approach has a few disadvantages: some features become indistinguishable in grayscale and features ordering based on response of grayscale detector do not accord with features order of importance from human’s perception point of view. There are two essential contributions in this paper. First, the method for direct detection of blobs and ridges in color images is proposed. Second, for scale-space ridge detection we introduce a 3D non maxima suppression procedure (in two orthogonal directions) which makes ridge detection simple and easy programmable in contrast to Lindeberg’s automatic scale selection approach. The proposed algorithms also produce estimates of blobs sizes and ridges width.
Keywordscolor blob detection color ridge detection color line detection ridge edge feature points scale-space non maxima suppression
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.C. Tomasi and T. Kanade, “Shape and Motion from Image Streams: a Factorization Method—Part 3. Detection and Tracking of Point Features,” Tech. Report CMU-CS-91-132 (Computer Science Department, Carnegie Mellon University, Apr. 1991).Google Scholar
- 2.J. Shi and C. Tomasi, “Good Features to Track,” in Proc. IEEE Conf. on Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition (CVPR’94) (Seattle, June 1994), pp. 593–600.Google Scholar
- 3.C. Harris and M. Stephens, “A Combined Corner and Edge Detector,” in Proc. 4th Alvey Vision Conf. (Manchester, 1988), Vol. 15, pp. 147–151.Google Scholar
- 4.J. Canny, “A Computational Approach to Edge Detection,” IEEE Trans. PAMI 8, 34–43 (1986).Google Scholar
- 5.D. G. Lowe, “Object Recognition from Local Scale-Invariant Features,” in Proc. ICCV (Kerkyra, Sept. 1999), pp. 1150–1157, Available from: http://www.cs.ubc.ca/~lowe/papers/iccv99.pdf
- 8.R. Hartley and A. Zisserman, Multiple View Geometry in Computer Vision (Cambridge Univ. Press, 2004).Google Scholar
- 9.P. Montesinos, V. Gouet, and R. Deriche, “Differential Invariants for Color Images,” in Proc.14th Int. Conf. on Pattern Recognition (Brisbane, 1998), pp. 838–840.Google Scholar
- 12.A. Ming and H. Ma, “A Blob Detector in Color Images,” in Proc. 6th ACM Int. Conf. on Image and Video Retrieval (Amsterdam, 2007), pp. 364–370.Google Scholar
- 13.A. P. Witkin, “Scale-Space Filtering,” in Proc. 8th Int. Joint Conf. on Artificial Intelligence (Karlsruhe, Aug. 1983), pp. 1019–1022.Google Scholar
- 16.W. K. Pratt, Digital Image Processing: PIKS Scientific Inside, 4th ed. (Wiley-Intersci., 2007).Google Scholar
- 17.D. P. Nikolaev and S. M. Karpenko, “Color-to-Grayscale Image Transformation Preserving the Gradient Structure,” in Proc. 20th European Conf. on Modeling and Simulation (ECMS 2006) (Bonn, 2006), pp. 321–323.Google Scholar