Origin of Starting Earthquakes under Complete Coupling of the Lithosphere Plates and a Base
The boundary problem of rigid coupling of lithospheric plates modeled by Kirchhoff plates with a base represented by a three-dimensional deformable layered medium is considered. The possibility of occurrence of a starting earthquake in such a block structure is investigated. For this purpose, two states of this medium in the static mode are considered. In the first case, the semi-infinite lithospheric plates in the form of half-planes are at a distance so that the distance between the end faces is different from zero. In the second case, the lithospheric plates come together to zero spacing between them. Calculations have shown that in this case more complex movements of the Earth’s surface are possible. Among such movements are the cases described in our previous publications [1, 2].
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.V. A. Babeshko, O. V. Evdokimova, and O. M. Babeshko, Dokl. Phys. 474 (4), 427 (2017).Google Scholar
- 5.A. A. Nikonov, Modern Earth’s Crust Movements (Nauka, Moscow, 1979) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 7.Yu. K. Chernov, Strong Motions of Soil and Quantitative Assessment of Seismic Hazards in Territories (FAN, Tashkent, 1989) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 8.J. Rice, Mechanics of Earthquake Source (Mir, Moscow, 1982) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 9.G. A. Gamburtsev, Long-Term Plan of Investigations on Problem “Investigation and Development of Prediction of Earthquakes,” in Development of the Gamburtsev’s Ideas in Geophysics (Nauka, Moscow, 1982), pp. 304–311 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 10.M. A. Sadovskii, L. G. Bolkhovitinov, and V. F. Pisarenko, Deformation of Geophysical Medium and Seismic Process (Nauka, Moscow, 1987) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 11.A. S. Alekseev, N. I. Geza, B. M. Glinskii, et al., Active Seismology with Powerful Vibrational Sources (Izd. Sib. Otd. Ross. Akad. Nauk, Novosibirsk, 2004) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 12.G. A. Sobolev, Fundamentals of Prediction of Earthquakes (Nauka, Moscow, 1993) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 13.V. A. Keilis-Borok, Nature, No. 12, 10 (1989).Google Scholar