The 2006 (Мw 8.3) and 2007 (Мw 8.1) Simushir Earthquakes and the 2011 Tohoku Megaearthquake (Мw 9.0): Tectonic Stresses and Development of the Seismic Process
- 12 Downloads
The peculiarities of catastrophic earthquakes that occurred in the Northwest Pacific region on January 13, 2007, and January 15, 2007, east of the Kuril Islands and the Tohoku megaearthquake of March 11, 2011, east of Japan are considered and analyzed. It is revealed that these earthquakes, apart from the fact that they occurred in the transition zone from the Pacific to island arcs and the Eurasian continent, have common features and similar characteristics. The seismotectonic slip in the source of the chronologically first event, the 2006 Kuril earthquake, was a gentle thrust, while that of the second event of January 13, 2007, was a downthrow beneath the Kuril deep trench.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.L. M. Balakina, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Fiz. Zemli, No. 8, Issue 12, 45–59 (1981).Google Scholar
- 2.L. M. Balakina, A. V. Vvedenskaya, N. V. Golubeva, et al., Elastic Stress Field of the Earth and Mechanisms of Earthquakes’ Focuses (Nauka, Moscow, 1972) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 3.T. K. Zlobin, Structure of the Earth’s Crust and Upper Mantle of Kuril Island Arc (According to Seismic Infor-mation) (Far East Sci. Center USSR Acad. Sci., Vladivostok, 1987) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 4.T. K. Zlobin and A. Yu. Polets, Seismotectonics, Deep Structure, and Catastrophic Earthquakes. Kuril-Okhotsk Region (LAP Lambert Acad. Publ., Saarbrücken, 2012).Google Scholar
- 7.T. K. Zlobin, A. Yu. Polets, and D. A. Safonov, Dokl. Akad. Nauk 461 (5), 589–592 (2015).Google Scholar
- 8.Yu. L. Rebetskii, Tectonic Stresses and Strength of Natural Rock Massifs (Akademkniga, Moscow, 2007) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 9.Kuril Islands (Geology, Earthquakes, Volcanoes, History), Ed. by T. K. Zlobin and M. S. Vysokov (Sakhalinskoe Knizhn. Izd., Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk, 2004) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 10.Catalog of Mechanisms of Strong (M> 6.0) Earthquakes in Kuril-Okhotsk Region for the Period from1964 up to 2009 Years (Dal’nauka, Vladivostok, 2011) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 13.National Earthquake Information Center. http://neic.usgs.gov/neic./epic/_rect.html.
- 14.Global Centroid Moment Tensor Project. http://www.globalcmt.org.Google Scholar