Faults and Source Parameters of Earthquakes in the Baikal Rift Zone: Dip Angles of Fault Planes
- 7 Downloads
Analysis of gentle, intermediate, and steep dip angles of fault planes in earthquake sources of the Baikal region is carried out with the slips in seismic sources being taken into account. The areas where normal faulting slips at steep, intermediate, and gentle angles took place are distinguished, and this can be interpreted as transformation of a steep dip to gentle one. It is found that the increase in energy class is accompanied by the number of earthquakes with steep dip angles, whereas the proportion of earthquakes with intermediate angles decreases, and the fraction of earthquakes with gentle angles remains quasi-stable and small.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.A. V. Peive, Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Ser. Geol., No. 3, 57–71 (1956).Google Scholar
- 2.Letnikov, F.A., Synergetics of Geological Systems (Nauka, Novosibirsk, 1992) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 3.K. Zh. Seminskii, Internal Structure of Continental Fault Zones. Tectonophysical Aspect (Siberian Branch Russ. Acad. Sci., Novosibirsk, 2003) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 4.Lithosphere of Central Asia (The Main Research Results of Institute of the Earth’s Crust Siberian Branch Russian Academy of Sciences for the Period from 1992 up to 1996 Years), Ed. by N. A. Logachev (Nauka, Novosibirsk, 1996) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 5.M. G. Dem’yanovich, A. V. Klyuchevskii, and V. M. Dem’yanovich, Litosfera, No. 3, 3–18 (2008).Google Scholar
- 7.L. A. Misharina, Earth Stresses in Rift Zones (Nauka, Moscow, 1967) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 8.A. V. Vvedenskaya, The Way for Investigating Stresses and Fractures in Earthquakes Focuses with the Help of Dislocation Theory (Nauka, Moscow, 1969) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 9.A. V. Klyuchevskii, V. M. Dem’yanovich, and V. I. Dzhurik, Geol. Geofiz. 50 (3), 279–288 (2009).Google Scholar
- 10.Modern Dynamic of Continental Lithosphere, Ed. by N. A. Logachev (Nedra, Moscow, 1995) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 12.J. N. Brune and W. Thatcher, in International Geophysics, Vol. 81A: International Handbook of Earthquake and Engineering Seismology, Part A (Acad. Press, 2002), pp. 560–569.Google Scholar