New hydrothermal sulfide fields of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge: Yubileinoe (20°09′ N) and Surprise (20°45.4′ N)
- 38 Downloads
Two new sulfide fields (Yubileinoe, 20°09′ N, and Surprise, 20°45.4′ N) were discovered between 20°01′ and 20°54′ N within the Russian Application Area of the Mid-Atlantic Ridge (MAR). The Yubileinoe field is located at a depth of 2300–2550 m in the near-top area of the first rift ridge, which is a boundary of the western wall of the rift valley. This new field and the Zenith-Victory field, which was previously discovered in the eastern wall, occur symmetrically relative to the rift valley of this MAR segment. The Surprise field at a depth of 2800–2850 m is situated in the eastern wall of the rift valley, on the slope of the volcanic uplift. After the discovery of these inactive sulfide fields, the number of hydrothermal fields within the Russian Application Area reached ten.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.http://www.nautilusminerals.comGoogle Scholar
- 4.Yu. A. Bogdanov, Hydrothermal Ore Manifestations of Mid-Atlantic Ridge (Nauchn. Mir, Moscow, 1997) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 5.Yu. A. Bogdanov, N. S. Bortnikov, and A. P. Lisitsyn, Geol. Ore Deposits 39 (5), 351–370 (1997).Google Scholar
- 6.B. N. Batuev, A. G. Krotov, V. F. Markov, et al., Dokl. Akad. Nauk 343 (1), 75–79 (1995).Google Scholar
- 7.Y. Fouquet, J. L. Charlou, H. Ondreas, et al., Inter-Ridge News 7 (1), 24–28 (1998).Google Scholar
- 8.V. E. Beltenev, A. V. Nescheretov, V. N. Ivanov, et al., Dokl. Earth Sci. 397 (5), 690–693 (2004).Google Scholar
- 9.G. A. Cherkashev, V. N. Ivanov, V. I. Bel’tenev, et al., Oceanology (Engl. Transl.) 53 (5), 607–619 (2013).Google Scholar
- 11.V. E. Bel’tenev, V. N. Ivanov, M. B. Sergeev, et al., Razved. Okhr. Nedr, No. 8, 50–55 (2012).Google Scholar