The Oligocene gap in the formation of Co-rich ferromanganese crusts and sedimentation in the Pacific Ocean and the effects of bottom currents
- 26 Downloads
The Marcus Wake and Magellan guyots formed about 129–74 Ma ago at 10°–30° S and drifted 1700–4400 km to their present-day latitudinal position across the equatorial zone of maximum deposition. Cooling of the Pacific plate brought these guyots to the northern arid zone during the Turonian–Maastrichtian, to depths at which sediment accumulation rates were low and the conditions promoted precipitation of Co-rich Fe–Mn crusts from the Campanian to the present. Nonprecipitation of Co-rich Fe–Mn crusts during the Oligocene was caused by the action of bottom currents. The presence of a hiatus identified in cores from drill holes was used as the basis for reconstruction of the directions of bottom currents in the Oligocene.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. E. Mel’nikov, Deposits of Cobalt-Bearing Manganese Crusts (AO Yuzhmorgeologiya, Gelendzhik, 2005) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 4.V. Clouard and A. Bonneville, Geol. Soc. Am., Spec. Pap. 388, 71–90 (2005).Google Scholar
- 5.J. H. Natland and E. L. Winterer, Geol. Soc. Am., Spec. Pap. 388, 687–710 (2005).Google Scholar
- 6.J. A. Haggerty and I. Premoli Silva, Proc. Ocean Drill. Program: Sci. Results 144, 935–949 (1995).Google Scholar
- 7.J. G. Ogg, S. M. Karl, and R. J. Behl, Proc. Ocean Drill. Program: Sci. Results 129, 571–613 (1992).Google Scholar
- 8.M. V. Kononov, Plate Tectonics of the North-West Pacific Ocean (Nauka, Moscow, 1989) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 9.A. P. Lisitsyn, Sedimentation in the Oceans (Nauka, Moscow, 1974) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 10.B. C. Heezen, I. D. MacGregor, H. P. Foreman, et al., Initial Rep. Deep Sea Drill. Proj. 20, 917–939 (1973).Google Scholar
- 11.W. W. Sager, E. L. Winterer, J. V. Firth, et al., Proc. Ocean Drill. Program: Initial Rep.143, 13–29 (1993).Google Scholar
- 12.A. P. Lisitsyn, in Oceanology. Ocean Geology. Geological History of the Ocean (Nauka, Moscow, 1980), pp. 36–103 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 13.N. F. Exon, J. P. Kennett, and M. J. Malone, Proc. Ocean Drill. Program: Sci. Results 189, 1–37 (2004).Google Scholar
- 15.Ocean Drilling Program. Science Operator. http://www-odp.tamu.edu/publications/.Google Scholar