Assessment of the amount of polar bears (Ursus maritimus) on the basis of perennial vessel counts
- 86 Downloads
This article presents a method of assessment of the amount of polar bears on the basis of data on vessel counts. The results of 32 vessel transect counts in the southern part of the Kara Sea are used as the primary data. They are processed in an original program using separate extrapolation by sectors and summarizing of data of several different counts. In recent years, the calculated amount of bears in the studied region has varied from 3300 to 3100 individuals (3200, on average). The relative statistical error of estimations smoothly decreases from 8 to 7%. The confidence interval of the estimation at statistical error of 7% and probability level of 95% is 2700–3500 individuals.
KeywordsDOKLADY Earth Science Polar Bear Vessel Count Kola Scientific Murmansk Marine Biological Institute
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.S. E. Belicov, N. G. Chelintsev, V. N. Kalyakin, A. A. Romanov, and S. M. Uspensky, in Proceedings of the X Working Meeting of the IUCN/SSC Polar Bear Specialist Group (Vienna, 1991), pp. 75–79.Google Scholar
- 3.Polar Bear (Proceedings of the XV Working Meeting of the IUCN/SSC Polar Bear Spec. Group, Copenhagen), p. 247.Google Scholar
- 5.Yu. A. Gorbunov, S. E. Belikov, and V. I. Shil’nikov, Bull. MOIP, Ser. Biol. 92(5) (1987).Google Scholar
- 6.G. G. Matishov, P. R. Makarevich, A. V. Ezhov, D. G. Ishkulov, Yu. V. Larionov, and D. V. Moiseev, Arctic Difficult of Access. Ten Years of Biooceanological Studies on Atomic Ice-Breakers (Murmanskii pechatnyi dvor, Murmansk, 2005) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 7.G. G. Matishov, Yu. I. Goryaev, and D. G. Ishkulov, Polar Bear of the Kara Sea. Results of MMBI Expeditions in the Area of North Marine Route in 1997–2013 (YuNTs RAN, Rostov-on-Don, 2013) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 8.N. G. Chelintsev, Mathematical Bases of the Animal Count (Moscow, 2000) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 9.N. G. Chelintsev, Bull. MOIP, Ser. Biol. 108(4) 3–9 (2003).Google Scholar
- 10.N. G. Chelintsev, Bull. MOIP, Ser. Biol. 109(2) 3–14 (2004).Google Scholar