Estimates of UV Indices During the Periods of Reduced Ozone Content over Siberia in Winter–Spring 2016
- 14 Downloads
UV radiation is calculated for Russian regions where anomalies of the total ozone content were observed in the first quarter of 2016. Winter ozone depletion in northern regions of Siberia, even to the levels of the so-called ozone hole, is not critical. However, much weaker ozone reduction in the early spring can lead to dangerous levels of erythemal UV radiation, when skin protection from ultraviolet radiation is required.
Keywords:UV radiation ozone holes UV index UV resource
This work was financially supported by the Russian Science Foundation (grant no. 14-17-00096).
- 1.Future ozone and its impact on surface UV. Scientific Assessment of Ozone Depletion: 2010. Report N 52, Ed. by S. Bekki, G.E. Bodeker, A.F. Bais, N. Butchart, V.P. Braesicke, A.J. Charlton-Perez, N.E. Chubarova, I. Cionni, L.N.P.S.S.B. Diaz Gillett Pawson, M.A. Giorgetta, D.W. Fahey Eyring, D.E. Kinnison, U. Langematz, B. Mayer, R.W. Portmann, and E. Rozanov (WMO, Geneva, 2011).Google Scholar
- 5.D. Griffin, K. A. Walker, I. Wohltmann, S. S. Dhomse, M. Rex, M. P. Chipperfield, W. Feng, G. L. Manney, J. Liu, and D. Tarasick, “Stratospheric ozone loss in the Arctic winters between 2005 and 2013 derived with ACE-FTS measurements,” Atmos. Chem. Phys. Discuss (2018).Google Scholar
- 6.G. A. Ivlev, B. D. Belan, and V. M. Dorokhov, “Dynamics of solar UV-B and UV-A radiations in Tomsk during ozone anomaly in spring, 2011,” Opt. Atmos. Okeana 26 (11), 995–1004 (2013).Google Scholar
- 7.B. M. Knudsen, H. Jonch-Sorensen, P. Eriksen, B. J. Johnsen, and G. E. Bodeke, “UV radiation below an Arctic vortex with severe ozone depletion,” Atmos. Chem. Phys. 5 (2005).Google Scholar
- 11.F. Khosrawi, O. Kirner, B.-M. Sinnhuber, S. Johansson, M. Hopfner, M. L. Santee, F. Froidevaux, J. Ungermann, R. Ruhnke, W. Woiwode, H. Oelhaf, and P. Braesicke, “Denitrification, dehydration and ozone loss during the 2015/2016 Arctic winter,” Atmos. Chem. Phys. 17, 12 893–12 910 (2017).CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Yu. M. Timofeyev, S. P. Smyshlyaev, Y. A. Virolainen, A. S. Garkusha, A. V. Polyakov, M. A. Motsakov, and O. Kirner, “Case study of ozone anomalies over Northern Russia in the 2015/2016 winter: Measurements and numerical modeling,” Ann. Geophys. 36, 1495–1505 (2018).Google Scholar
- 13.K. Vanicek, T. Frei, Z. Litynska, and A. Schmalwieser, UV-Index for the Public (European Communities, Brussels, 2000).Google Scholar
- 16.Rationalizing nomenclature for UV doses and effects on humans. WMO/GAW Report No. 211 (Vienna, Commission Internationale de l’Eclairage (CIE), 2006).Google Scholar