The Microphysical Nature of the Glory from Aircraft Measurements
- 14 Downloads
The glory formation (optical phenomenon observed in clouds) is considered in the context of new experimental data acquired during the cloud microphysics investigations with the Roshydromet YAK-42D aircraft-laboratory in polar and central regions of Russia. Data on the cloud particle-size distribution are presented and conditions for occurrence of the glory on these clouds are discussed.
Keywordscloud microphysics glory particle-size spectrum aircraft observation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.H. C. van de Hulst, Light Scattering by Small Particles (John Wiley and Sons, New York; Chapman and Hall, London, 1957).Google Scholar
- 2.A. N. Nevzorov, “Glory phenomenon and a nature of liquid-drop fraction in cold clouds,” Atmos. Ocan. Opt. 20 (8), 613–619 (2007).Google Scholar
- 3.D. Deirmendjian, Electromagnetic Scattering on Spherical Polydispersions (American Elsevier Pub., 1969).Google Scholar
- 5.I. P. Mazin and S. M. Shmeter, Clouds, Structure and Formation Physics (Gidrometeoizdat, Leningrad, 1983) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 6.A. S. Azarov, Yu. A. Borisov, S. M. Vakulovskii, B. G. Danelyan, V. V. Petrov, A. A. Sin’kevich, M. A. Strunin, B. A. Fomin, and V. U. Khattatov, “New possibilities in studying atmospheric processes and environmental monitoring with ROSHYDROMET YAK-42D aircraft laboratory,” in Abstracts of the All-Russian Open Conference on Cloud Physics and Active Effects on Hydrometeorological Processes devoted to the 80th Anniversary of the Elbrus High-Mountain Expedition of Academy of Sciences of USSR, October 9, 2014 (High-Mountain Geophysical Institute, Nalchik, 2014), p. 62–70 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 7.Cloud Droplet Probe (CDP-2) Manual. http://www. dropletmeasurement.com/sites/default/files/Manuals Guides/Hardware%20Manuals/CDP-2%20Manual.pdf (last access: 19.01.2017).Google Scholar
- 8.Cloud Imaging Probe Grayscale (CIP-GS) Manual. http://www.dropletmeasurement.com/sites/default/files/ManualsGuides/Hardware%20Manuals/DOC-0202% 20CIP-GS%20Manual.pdf (last access: 19.01.2017).Google Scholar
- 9.Precipitation Imaging Probe Operator Manual. http://www.dropletmeasurement.com/sites/default/files/Manuals Guides/Hardware%20Manuals/PIP.pdf (last access: 18.01.2017).Google Scholar
- 10.Cloud Particle Imager CPI V2.5 User’s Manual. http://www.specinc.com/sites/default/files/software_and_ manuals/CPI_Technical%20Manual_rev1.2_20130226. pdf (last access: 19.01.2017).Google Scholar
- 12.S. M. Shmeter, Meteorology for Balloonists and Pilots (Planeta, Moscow, 2009) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 14.MiePlot. A computer program for scattering of light from a sphere using Mie theory & the Debye series Imager. http://www.philiplaven.com/mieplot.htm (last access: 20.02.2017).Google Scholar