Comparative Assessments of the Crosswind Speed from Optical and Acoustic Measurements in the Surface Air Layer
A passive optical method for measurements of the average crosswind speed on the atmospheric path has been developed. The crosswind speed estimation is based on the correlation algorithm for measuring fluctuations of the energy centroids of images of topographic objects under natural daylight. Test results of a windspeed- meter prototype, constructed based on this principle, are described. The wind velocity assessments recorded by this passive optical meter and an acoustic weather station are compared. The optimal time of accumulation of the cross-correlation function is estimated, which ensures stable real-time wind measurements.
Keywordsincoherent source image correlation path-averaged wind velocity passive optical meter acoustic anemometer turbulence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T.-I. Wang, US Patent No. 6611319 B2 (26 August 2003).Google Scholar
- 4.M. B. Roopashree, Vyas. Akondi, and Prasad B. Raghavendra, “A Review of Atmospheric Wind Speed Measurement Techniques with Shack Hartmann Wavefront Imaging Sensor in Adaptive Optics,” J. Indian Inst. Sci 93, 67–84 (2013).Google Scholar
- 5.www.scintec.com.Google Scholar
- 7.V. A. Banakh and I. N. Smalikho, Coherent Doppler Wind Lidars in Turbulent Atmosphere (Publishing House of IAO SB RAS, Tomsk, 2013) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 8.V. A. Banakh and I. N. Smalikho, Coherent Doppler Wind Lidars in a Turbulent Atmosphere (Artech House, Boston; London, 2013).Google Scholar
- 15.M. Belenkii, Patent US No. 8,279,287 B2 (2 October 2012).Google Scholar
- 16.D. A. Marakasov, “The correlation of the displacements of the images of point sources in the turbulent atmosphere,” Proc. SPIE—Int. Soc. Opt. Eng. 9680, CID 9680 1U (2015).Google Scholar
- 17.D. A. Marakasov and A. L. Afanasiev, “Correlation of displacements of image elements of complex shaped objects in the turbulent atmosphere, Izv. vuzov, Fiz. 58 (8/3), 204–206 (2015).Google Scholar
- 18.D. A. Marakasov, “Estimation of mean wind velocity from correlations of centers of gravity shifings for noncoherent sources in the turbulent atmosphere,” Opt. Atmos. Okeana 29 (4), 294–299 (2016).Google Scholar
- 20.Reference Book on Special Functions with Formulae, Plots, and Mathematical Tables, Ed. by M. Abramovits and I. Stigan (Nauka, Moscow, 1979) [in Russian].Google Scholar