Measurements of aircraft wake vortex parameters by a Stream Line Doppler lidar
- 18 Downloads
Results of measurements of the parameters of aircraft wake vortices by a Stream Line coherent Doppler lidar during the three-day experiment on the airfield of Tolmachevo Airport are presented. The spatial dynamics and evolution of the wake vortices generated by landing aircraft of different types, from Airbus A319 passenger aircraft to heavy Boeing 747-8 cargo aircraft, are analyzed. It is shown that Stream Line lidars may be used to receive reliable information about the presence and intensity of aircraft wake vortices in the vicinity of а runway.
Keywordscoherent Doppler lidar aircraft wake vortices
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. I. Babkin, A. S. Belotserkovskii, L. I. Turchak, N. A. Baranov, A. I. Zamyatin, M. I. Kanevskii, V. V. Morozov, I. V. Pasekunov, and N. Yu. Chizhov, Vortex Safety Systems for Aircraft Flights (Nauka, Moscow, 2008) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 5.V. A. Banakh and I. N. Smalikho, Coherent Doppler Wind Lidars in the Turbulent Atmosphere (Publishing House of IAO SB RAS, Tomsk, 2013) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 11.I. N. Smalikho, V. A., Banakh, F. Holzäpfel, and S. Rahm, “Estimation of aircraft wake vortex parameters from array of radial velocities measured by a coherent Doppler lidar,” Opt. Atmos. Okeana 28 (8), 742–750 (2015).Google Scholar
- 13.D. C. Burnham and J. N. Hallock, Chicago monostatic acoustic vortex sensing system. DOT-TSC-FAA-79-103 (U.S. Department of Transportation, 1982).Google Scholar
- 16.C. W. Schwarz, K. U. Hahn, and D. Fischenberg, “wake encounter severity assessment based on validated aerodynamic interaction models,” in Proc. AIAA Atmos. Space Environ. Conf., Toronto, Canada, August 2–5, 2010. doi 10.2514/6.2010-7679Google Scholar