Parameterization of asymmetry factor of atmospheric aerosol scattering phase function
- 54 Downloads
We analyzed how the asymmetry factor of the atmospheric aerosol phase function can be estimated from spectral measurements of light attenuation and scattering. An empirical formula is suggested to parameterize the asymmetry factor as a function of the Ångström exponent and complex refractive index. Several approaches to determining the asymmetry factor from data of integrating nephelometers are considered. An analytical formula, relating the asymmetry factor to the nephelometer-measured ratio of the radiative fluxes scattered into the forward and backward hemispheres, is derived. The asymmetry factor at three wavelengths is calculated according to data of field measurements in St. Petersburg suburbs in 2015.
Keywordsaerosol scattering absorption scattering phase function asymmetry factor integrating nephelometer
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. I. Gorchakov, A. S. Emilenko, A. A. Isakov, and M. A. Sviridenkov, “Coefficient of directed lught scattering in the range of angles 0.5–170°,” Izv. Akad Nauk SSSR, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana 12 (10), 1034–1044 (1976).Google Scholar
- 2.M. A. Sviridenkov, “Certain empirical relations for integral parameters of the phase scattering functions, in Abstr. of the III All-Union Workshop on Atmospheric Optics and Actinometry. Part 1 (IOA SD AS USSR, Tomsk, 1981), p. 35–37 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 3.P. J. Ricchiazzi and C. Gautier. http://www.arm.gov/publications/proceedings/conf13/extended_abs/ricchiazzi- pj.pdfGoogle Scholar
- 4.C. E. Junge, Air Chemistry and Radioactivity (New York, Academic Press, 1963).Google Scholar
- 8.C. Bohren and D. Huffman, Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles (Wiley, Nee York, 1983).Google Scholar
- 9.G. I. Gorchakov, S. A. Sitnov, M. A. Sviridenkov, E. G. Semoutnikova, A. S. Emilenko, A. A. Isakov, V. V. Kopeikin, A. V. Karpov, I. A. Gorchakova, K. S. Verichev, G. A. Kurbatov, and N. Ya. Ponomareva, “Satellite and ground-based monitoring of smoke in the atmosphere during the summer wildfires in European Russia in 2010 and Siberia in 2012,” Int. J. Remote Sens. 35 (15), 5698–5721 (2014).Google Scholar
- 10.M. A. Sviridenkov, “Statistical Parameterization of the Phase Scattering Function,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, Fiz. Atmos. Okeana 16 (7), 751–754 (1980).Google Scholar
- 12.T. L. Anderson, D. S. Covert, S. F. Marshall, M. L. Laucks, R. J. Charlson, A. P. Waggoner, J. A. Ogren, R. Caldow, R. L. Holm, F. R. Quant, G. J. Sem, A. Wiedensohler, N. A. Ahlquist, and T. S. Bates, “Performance characteristics of a highsensitivity, three-wavelength, total scatter/backscatter nephelometer,” J. Atmos. Ocean. Technol. 13 (5), 967–986 (1996).ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar