[OI] 557.7 nm airglow during seismic events in the Baikal rift zone
- 24 Downloads
Atomic oxygen [OI] 557.7-nm atmospheric emission (airglow altitudes of 85–115 km) during earthquakes (EQ) with a magnitude of M ≥ 5, occurred in the Baikal rift zone in 2014–2016, is studied. Variations in this emission are analyzed; higher values of mean nighttime intensities of this emission on several days before an EQ in comparison with subsequent days are revealed. A possible explanation of these variations during EQs is given.
Keywordsearthquake airglow 557.7-nm emission
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.G. A. Nasyrov, “About the correlation between the night airglow and seismic activity,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR, No. 2, 119–121 (1978).Google Scholar
- 7.T. I. Toroshelidze, The Analysis of Aeronomic Problems in the Study of the Upper Atmosphere (METsNIEREBA, Tbilisi:1991) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 8.A. V. Mikhalev and M. S. Popov, “The manifestation of seismic activity in variations of the Earth’s upper atmosphere emission,” in Proc. of the 2nd Baikal School on Fundamental Physics “Interaction of Radiation and Fields with Matter” (SiLaP, Irkutsk, 1999), vol. 2, p. 554–557 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 11.V. A. Liperovskii, O. A. Alimov, S. L. Shalimov, M. B. Gokhberg, R. Kh. Liperovskaya, and A. Saidshoev, “Study of the F region of ionosphere before earthquakes,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR. Fiz. Zemli, No. 12, 77–86 (1990).Google Scholar
- 12.M. N. Fatkulin, T. I. Zelenova, V. Kh. Depuev, et al., “Ionospheric effects of the Spitak earthquake of December 7, 1988,” in Abstr. of the 3rd All-Russian Workshop “Ionospheric Effects of Earthquakes” (AN TSSR, Ashkhabad, 1991), p. 3 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 13.F. Kh. Khakimov, V. A. Liperovskii, S. L. Shalimov, O. A. Alimov, R. Kh. Liperovskaya, and L. N. Rubtsov, “Disturbances in the ionosphere before a series of earthquakes in Tajikistan in 1987,” Dokl. Akad. Nauk Tadj. SSR 32 (12), 824–827 (1989).Google Scholar
- 14.O. A. Molchanov, O. A. Mozhaeva, and M. L. Protopopov, “Observations of seismogenic electromagnetic VLF emissions at Interkosmos-24 sputnik,” Geomag. Aeronom. 32 (6), 128–137 (1992).Google Scholar
- 15.M. B. Gokhberg, A. V. Kustov, R. Kh. Liperovskaya, E. P. Kharin, and S. L. Shalimov, “About disturbances in the F region of ionosphere before strong earthquakes,” Izv. Akad. Nauk SSSR. Fiz. Zemli, No. 4, 12–20 (1988).Google Scholar
- 17.A. D. Sytinskii, “Planetary atmospheric disturbances during strong earthquakes,” Geomag. Aeronom. 37 (2), 132–137 (1997).Google Scholar