Phase variance of narrow-band acoustic signals on near-surface paths
- 40 Downloads
Results of the analysis of the “instantaneous” phase of narrow-band acoustic signals during their propagation on short near-surface paths under the action of the wind field are presented. The division of the phase into the deterministic, quasi-deterministic (“local”), and random (“turbulent”) components is applied. Histograms of the turbulent component of the phase and result of approximating the histograms by the normal law of the probability distribution are considered. An empirical formula for the relation between the phase variance at different frequencies and variance of the wind velocity on the sound propagation path is derived and compared with theoretical formulas.
Keywordsacoustics wind surface layer turbulence phase
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.D. E. Norris, D. K. Wilson, and D. W. Thomson, “Correlations between acoustic travel-time fluctuations and turbulence in the atmospheric surface layer,” Acta Acust. Acust 87, 677–684 (2001).Google Scholar
- 8.V. G. Perepelkin, “Theory of the anisotropic turbulence effect on fluctuations of azimuths and acoustic signal angles in the lower and middle atmosphere,” in Proc. of the XVIII Session of Russian Acoustic Society (GEOAS, Moscow, 2006), vol. 2, p. 129–132 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 9.V. P. Mamyshev and S. L. Odintsov, “Effect of the wind field inhomogeneities on phase characteristics of acoustic signals along short paths in the surface air layer,” in Proc. of the XX Session of Russian Acoustic Society (GEOAS, Moscow, 2008), vol. 2, p. 154–159 [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 10.V. P. Mamyshev and S. L. Odintsov, “Probability distribution of narrow-band acoustic signal phase,” in Proc. of the XXII Intern. Symp. “Atmospheric and Ocean Optics. Atmospheric Physics” (Publishing House of IAO SB RAS, Tomsk, 2016) [in Russian].Google Scholar
- 11.V. A. Gladkikh and A. E. Makienko, “Digital ultrasonic weather station,” Pribory, No. 7 (109), 21–25 (2009).Google Scholar
- 13.V. P. Mamyshev, S. L. Odintsov, V. G. Astafurov, and S. M. Pastukhova, “Statistics of envelopes of tonal acoustic signals in the surface atmospheric layer,” Opt. Atmos. Okeana 27 (3), 266–269 (2014).Google Scholar
- 14.V. A. Gladkikh and S. L. Odintsov, “The analysis of structure functions of temperature and wind speed in the surface air layer,” in Proc. of the XVIII Session of Russian Acoustic Society (GEOAS, Moscow, 2006), vol. 2, p. 139–143 [in Russian].Google Scholar