Beam splitting algorithm for the problem of light scattering by atmospheric ice crystals. part 1. theoretical foundations of the algorithm
- 41 Downloads
The beam splitting algorithm permitting one to obtain a solution of the problem of light scattering by atmospheric crystalline ice particles in the geometrical optics approximation is presented. The construction of Jones and Mueller matrices is considered in detail as a basis of the algorithm. Special attention is paid to the interface of the program implementation of the algorithm, which facilitates its introduction in a thirdparty project. The developed algorithm is freely available as an open source software.
Keywordsgeometrical optics beam splitting algorithm light scattering ice crystals
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.M. I. Mishchenko, J. W. Hovenier, and L. D. Travis, Light Scattering by Nonspherical Particles: Theory, Measurements, and Geophysical Applications (Academic Press, San Diego, 1999).Google Scholar
- 2.L. Bi and P. Yang, Physical-Geometric Optics Hybrid Methods for Computing the Scattering and Absorption Properties of Ice Crystals and Dust Aerosols, Light Scattering Reviews 8, Ed. by A. A. Kokhanovsky (SpringerPraxis, Chichester, 2013), pp. 69–114.Google Scholar
- 3.H. C. van de Hulst, Light Scattering by Small Particles (Dover, New York, 1981).Google Scholar
- 17.S. P. Neshyba, B. Lowen, M. Benning, A. Lawson, and P. M. Rowe, “Roughness metrics of prismatic facets of ice,” J. Geophys. Res., A 118 (8), 3309–3318 (2013).Google Scholar
- 20.A. A. Popov, Scattering of Plane Electromagnetic Waves by a Translucent Convex Polyhedron of an Arbitrary Shape, Available from Izv. Vuzov. Fiz., No. 8006 (Tomsk, 1984).Google Scholar
- 21.M. Del Guasta, “Calcolo delle proprieta' ottiche dei cristalli di ghiaccio mediante il metodo del tracciamento dei raggi, Applicazione al LIDAR a retrodiffusione,” in Technol. Rep. TR/GCF/95.04 (IROE CNR, Florence, 1995).Google Scholar
- 22.D. N. Romashov, “Light scattering by hexagonal water ice crystals,” Atmos. Ocean. Opt. 14 (2), 102–110 (2001).Google Scholar
- 24.Algorithm for Beam Tracing. https://github.com/ sasha-tvo/ Beam-Splitting.Google Scholar
- 25.C. F. Bohren and D. R. Huffman, Absorption and Scattering of Light by Small Particles (Wiley, New York, 1983).Google Scholar
- 26.M. Born and E. Wolf, Principles of Optics (4th ed.) (Pergamon Press, Great Britain, 1970).Google Scholar
- 27.M. J. Laszlo, Computational geometry and computer graphics in C++ (Prentice-Hall, Lebanon, 1995).Google Scholar